1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey hatched but still stuck..HUGE blood vessel...? (SAD UPDATE)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaMarcy, Nov 2, 2011.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    So, my first poult hatched today...a day early. A 2nd has PIP'd. The hatchling is now up and trying to walk, with a HUGE blood vessel still attached (and full of blood). Shall I just let him keep doing what he's doing? I'm afraid he'll tear the vessel and bleed out. [​IMG]

****UPDATE***

I went ahead and tied it off, and cut it on the egg side of the tie to avoid shredding. All daay long he was kinda stuck in the egg, and t one point I could see unabsorbed yolk so just left him. Then he came out and ws walking, peeping, and started kinda freaking with the egg trailing (why I tied him off). I did wait till the vessel was "dead" near him. So the unabsorbed yolk was almost gone. Within an hour of him free of the egg his intestines fell out. I had to cull him. My 1st time. I'm so devastated. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Anyone?? [​IMG]

3. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    Try moving this to Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures. Maybe someone can help you there. Hope all turns out well..

4. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    THAnK YOU!

5. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    thats a hard call [​IMG]
    me personally would get him out... but thats my hurry up and DO it additude [​IMG]
    maybe leave him be and see if that vessle drys up alittle more??
    you can always try to go get dental floss and tie it around the vessle with a needle and thread. and cut it then hold a piece of paper towle to it to make sure it stops the bleeding..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by