Turkey hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sirj_76, Mar 13, 2011.

1. sirj_76

sirj_76 In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    If I posted this in the wrong spot I am sorry. My question is I have put off separating my turkeys. So now I don't know how long the eggs will be fertilized by the toms? I think with chickens it is 21 days but not sure? Or if it applies to turkeys too or not? Thanks for any help.

2. Rikoshe

Rikoshe In the Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Nevada
    Turkeys need 28 days depending on the temp. in your incubator. Which should be 99.5 deg.F. in an air circulated incubator for chickens and turkeys.
    You are correct chickens are 21 give or take depending on the temp. in your incubator
    Good luck with your hatch
    Rikoshe

3. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Songster

Do you mean, How long once seperating into breeding pens before the eggs are fertile? If that's what your asking I think in a couple days you'd be good. I think I'd wait 5 days to be sure that they're pure.

4. sirj_76

sirj_76 In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Ok maybe I didn't word that quite right. I have Royal Palm and Spanish Blacks mixed together. my question is how long after seperating by breed do I need to wait to know that the eggs were fertilized by the "right" tom? Thanks again.

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Free Ranging

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I cannot say for sure, but I would guess a week to two.. I ran across this only once with a royal palm hen and she laid a black spanish egg two weeks after I bought her.. I have no black spanish toms.. she settled into roal palm eggs after that.. the people I bought her from had no royal palm toms..

6. sirj_76

sirj_76 In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Thanks for the help jvls1942. Anyone else have any ideas?

7. SED

SED Songster

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    About two weeks is right. Once separated, I would give it two to three weeks just to make sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: