Turkey hatching....incubators....???? (newbie)

Rax77

Hatching
9 Years
May 17, 2010
i "accidently" won 6+ eastern turkey eggs off of Ebay while ago......i dont have an incubator yet. (maybe this wasnt the smartest thing i've ever done....lol...but i'm willing to try) We have a local farm store that sells small incubators with the automatic turners...what are my chances for a 1st timer with one of these units?? I have 3 week old turkeys right now...2 bronze and 2 white....they are doing great!!! I'm addicted to these silly turkeys now...lol

They are not cheap but for a small number of eggs you can't beat the Brinsea ECO 20 with or without autoturner. The Hovabator Genesis 1588 is also excellent and has higher capacity. Tradeoff, it is not as durable or easy to clean. Try to stick with a forced air bator if at all possible.

As long as you go get it ASAP (and I agree forced air is the best) set it up and run it until your eggs arrive that way you can figure out how to keep you temps and humidity and go read the stickies on the incubating topic they should hatch if they are good eggs maybe not every one of them because they are shipped but I had good luck with my first turkey eggs with an almost new incubator so it's possible. I liked my turkeys so much I have some getting ready to hatch now and more on the way. I'm hoping that next year I'll be able to hatch my own.

i ordered the genesis 1588 in january and hasnt stopped running since and i am so happy with it i just ordered my 2nd and it should be here tomorrow . the best price i found was at cutlers supply.com. i love the genesis!

Quote:
I have the Genesis 1588 and have four Royal Palm eggs to put in today. These are my first turkey eggs and I've read that at the end of the incubation period that the temp should be lowered slightly and the humidity raised. Do you do this with your Genesis? I've read the instructions for changing the temp. in the Genesis but I'm concerned that I'll muck it up rather than be successful.

I do turkey eggs just like chickens I always put chicken eggs eggs in with them a week after so they can hatch together. I have some hatching right now my humidity is 60% raises when they pop out of the egg this is my second hatch. I had all of mine that made it into lock down hatch last time and I tried to get the humidity higher last time but the poults just laid on the sponges and stayed wet for a long time and it only went up to 64% so this time I just left it and they seem to be hatching just fine.

Back
Top Bottom