turkey hatching tips

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pbjls, Mar 17, 2013.

1. pbjls

pbjls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    I am getting ready to start a long stretch of turkey setting and hatching. I will have access to about 90 eggs a week. I will be using a gqf 1502. looking for tips on calibration of thermometer anf hygrometer. proper temps and humidity. setting time. when to stop turner and if temp or humidity should be adjusted when it is time to go still.

candleing help would also be much appriciated. I will set some extra eggs each week and want to cull non productive eggs because I am trying to hatch out about 600 in about a two month period for a couple of meat farms in my area.

paul

2. ftwchopper

ftwchopper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2009
    woodstock connecticut
    Your going to need a lot more incubator space if you expect to hatch 600 hundred poults in two months.Your cabinet incubator will hold about 180 eggs max at a time.I use a 1502 and a 400 egg redwood for setting and one 1500 hatcher.That way you dont have to play with the temp or humidity in the setters..set em and forget em till day 18...then they go in that hatcher @ 65% humidity.

3. pbjls

Mar 11, 2013
    so the plan was to put in 90 eggs the first week. I will candle a week later and remove any that are not developing. I will also add 90 more eggs. If I am running 70 percent developing and 30 percent duds then by the third week I will have 180 good eggs in the incubator. I have two other boxes set up to take eggs for the last three days. each will easily hold 6 dozzen. with room for new poults to move around as they emerge. I also have three brood buildings that have 14 brood boxes that are 2ftx6ft to house the hatched poults. starting on the fourth week I will be rotating new eggs into the incubator, eggs ready to hatch into one of the auxilary incubators and have the brood space warm and ready to go. At this rate I would need 10 weeks or just over two monts to get to 600.

I have brooded and raised lots of birds, but have not ever incubated.

paul

4. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Here is the link to Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys egg hatching tips.

http://www.porterturkeys.com/egghatchingtips.htm

5. pbjls

Mar 11, 2013
  6. pbjls

Mar 11, 2013
    that was some great info on turkey setting and hatching. thank you very much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by