Turkey/heat stroke/safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by lbrykowski2011, Jul 27, 2014.

1. lbrykowski2011

lbrykowski2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2013
    Capac, Mi
    Hi, I have BBW that was doing fine and a few days ago it hit just over 90 and he was running in the backyard and just collapsed. His head was very dark red and warm and panting heavily. We got him in the garage with fans and water and after an hr he got up and walked out on his own. He has never been right since, he walked real slow and seemed to just fall asleep standing there and would eat and drink some, but not much. Today-4 days later, he won't even stand up. His head is dark red with a little bit of black in it and I felt just awful for him so we ended up culling him. He is my 1st turkey, was gonna be for the holidays, he is all processed and in fridge now, but I want to make sure it is safe to eat. Thanks

2. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    I'd check for signs of damage to the organs, just to see if there was something else wrong that isn't obvious, but heat stroke damage isn't going to harm the meat or make it unsafe to eat.

3. lbrykowski2011

lbrykowski2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2013
    Capac, Mi
    The organs looked ok to me as far as the intestines and heart and such. No signs of worms or anything like that either. the only thing we weren't sure on was what we thought were the lungs, it was the largest organ we pulled out was kinda grey where all the others were pink, so not sure on that if it is normal or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by