Turkey Hen acting oddly... now with photos

FarmMomof3

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 4, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Ok so I need someone to help figure out what is going on with one of my turkeys..

I have 8 BBB Turkeys (down from a hatchery order of 21.. we lost all but the 8 with in the 1st 10 days of life) 7 of the 8 are healthy, strong and curious. No issues at all. The turkeys hatched out on May 5th.
the 8th turkey is a hen.. she is TINY compared to the others...I'd say about 1/4 the size of the others. She is given the same food (turkey starter) and water as the others.
She doesn't walk much, everytime i see her, she's laying down. She doesn't fly either. For example, if you were to pick up one of the healthy turkeys and throw it up into the air.. it would fly off and land well somewhere else. If you did this with this odd turkey she'd wouldn't flap her wings and would land with a thud on the ground not 3 feet away. When she is walking she looks hunched over like a little old lady needing a cane. She feeds and waters well. If you pick her up she will not squak like the others do. I've checked her over many times, trying to see if she suffered any damaged and I've found none. No broken bones, no gashes.. NOTHING. SHe just acts weird and I can't for the life of me figure out why. She wasn't acting like this 3 weeks ago.

This morning when i went into thier house to let them out in the pen I found her in a nesting box. She tried to hop out on her own but couldn't make it. The nesting box in on the ground and the lip of it is 6 inches high. She couldn't do it. I had to lift her out myself.

When i go down to collect eggs from my later layers I'll take a picture of her if i can.

Does this sound like anything that anyone has seen before?

I can't figure it out!

IMG_4177.jpg

IMG_4179.jpg

here she is next to a healthy turkey....
IMG_4181.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about angel wing. The wings are hanging because the bird is sick, not the other way around. I had a bourbon red two year ago that just didn't grow. It didn't look as bad as yours, though. It eventually died. I'm not a great disease person, but the bird is clearly not doing well, and if is more than just failure to thrive, you probably don't want it around your other birds. The withdrawn neck is not a good sign.

At the very least, I would put it in its own coop for a while. There are people on this page that would probably suggest antibiotics and hand-feeding. As much as I hate doing it myself, you might just consider culling the poor thing.

The poor baby looks sick but I'm not sure what could be wrong with her. Do you actually see her eating and drinking? Any problems with the poop, sneezing, etc?

I've seen her eat and drink just fine. and I've seen her poop fine as well. I agree that she's sick though. we are going to set the heat lamp back up and keep her confined for a while.
If it comes to it.. we'll cull her if need be.. I hate to do that too... this year we've done so poorly with the turkeys.... we have 21 and now we have 8... it's redonkulous!

If anyone else has any suggestions... I'm much abliged

Back
Top Bottom