Turkey hen acting weirdly....starting to lay?

DucksinOR

Songster
9 Years
Oct 8, 2012
Willamette Valley, Oregon
We have a 6-7 month old Midget White hen who has been know to get over our 7 ft. fence into the neighbors' yards. Shortly after I let the birds out this morning, I found her over in a field next to our neighbor's yard wandering around. Since then she has been over there twice. (she normally only gets out a few times each week) She seems kind of confused. We think that she is trying to find a place to nest. Is she old enough?

As a side note, we do not have a tom, but she has squatted a few times when we walk past her the last few weeks.

Yup, she is laying. We have found 2 little, speckled eggs so far. If we keep collecting her eggs, will she still go broody? She is so cute on her nest. :)

Does dunking broody turkeys in cold water stop them from brooding like it does for chickens?

Finally got some pictures of her and her nest. :)

Here is where her nest is.

Here she is on her nest. (she would not let me get any closer to get better pictures)

Here is her third egg. :) It is so cute! :)

I have a female and male turkey. i have had them as lil over a year now and they were both full grown when i got them, she has never laid a egg for me that i know of but i haVE seen him mounting her the last few weeks and have seen her sitting alot around my yard, not sure when they lay, any advice?

Our turkey, Isabelle, is really sneaky when she leaves the yard (I have to check every hour or so to see if she is still in our back yard.) Do you have any brush in your yard she could hide in?

Back
Top Bottom