1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey hen hurt while mating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hogster160, Nov 17, 2013.

1. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    What can I give a turkey hen for pain? My tom was trying to mate with her, and she wasn't having it. He slid off and his nail ripped open her skin. She is bleeding some, but not too bad. He wasn't even on her right, so she is cut open above the tail and down behind her bum area. I have separated them until she is healed. I will try to get pics. Not easy with all the feathers.

Thanks

Deb

2. hogster160

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    [​IMG]

This goes down the left side of her back thigh area. Any ideas what more I can do for her? All I have done is cleaned her up some. I do have blue cote I can use.

Help, turkey owner (me) is kinda freaking out ATM

Thanks

Deb

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    With chickens you can give aspirin for pain--for a turkey, probably 1 whole aspirin would be the dose. Try to clean her wound with peroxide once, or betadine, Hibiclens, or soap and water. Let her dry and apply Neosporin ointment daily to her wounds. She may need to be separated to heal.

4. hogster160

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    Cleaned her up and am giving 1/2 aspirin 325 mg 2x/day. She is healing very well. She even laid an egg in the hoop coop today. No blood anywhere. Thanks for your help it was much appreciated.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Great to hear that is doing well, thanks for the update!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by