Turkey hen laid first egg

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by crealbilly, Jan 24, 2017.

1. crealbilly

crealbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA
    On of my burbon red turkey hens laid it's first egg. It was in the middle of the turkey yard. I picked it up and brought it into the house so it wont freeze. Assuming my turkey hens are going to brood, i want to give the egg back to the turkey once it starts sitting.

How long will this egg be good for on the counter top at room temperature mid To high 60's?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Generally it's recommended to store them for no more than about 10 days, they start to lose too much moisture. You should place them large end up in an egg carton, and keep it at about a 30 degree angle and rotate it once a day so the yolk stays centered.

3. crealbilly

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA
    Thank you!

4. crealbilly

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA
    I have two Burbon Red hens sitting today I seen one came off her eggs - this is the first time I got a good look at her 13 egg clutch. I wonder how many is in the other clutch? I may never know...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  5. oldclucker65

oldclucker65 New Egg

Mar 5, 2017
    All my hens laid 14 eggs each. I went from 4 to 42 real quick!! Do you know of any way of sexing them?
    I love my turks but they sure do make a mess!

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You have 42 turkeys???? That's a lot of birds. Usually you need to wait until the turkeys are 3-6 months before you can tell for sure their sexes.

7. crealbilly

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA

I would love to have about 30 turkeys myself. We had a Burbon Red Tom for Thanksgiving last year. He was simply hand down delicious - without a doubt the best Thanksgiving turkey we ever had. He had a nice fat ring in-between the meat and skin and the meat texture was almost melt in your mouth. Call it what you will but I am a turkey meat aholic.

I never thought a turkey Tom participated in brooding but my Tom spends most of his day standing guard over the enterance to where the hens are sitting. He gobbles for any new sound he hears or any thing new he's never seen before. He's not agressive to me or my granddaughter but anyone else goes in the yard they better be prepared to defend themselves -:lol

8. crealbilly

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA

Check this thread - the two with white rings around their neck that extended down to their chests turned out to be Tom's the other three did not have the white neck ring and they turned out to be hens. Hope this helps

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1089790/burbon-red-poults#post_17531725

9. crealbilly

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA
    Well today must be my lucky day both turkey hens got off the nest when I was outside and I got a pic of both clutches.

I count 37 eggs - man that's a lot of Turkey eggs from just two hens.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Gorman Farm

Gorman Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    whoa no kidding that is a lot of eggs...turkey eggs are a valuable commodity around here, you are sitting on a gold mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by