Turkey hen laying question

Joker

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 24, 2010
I bought an adult red hen yesterday. I was shocked to see she layed an egg today. I
I thought hens only laid in the spring.

A lot of turkeys will lay for a short period of time in the fall. I think it's the cooler days. Beware of fertility though. I'm getting a few eggs from the girlies right now but they're not fertile....which is not to say that everyone else on here won't have fertile eggs...it's just me that doesn't.

Quote:
It's not just you, fall fertility changes from week to week, it's a short laying season.

Steve

Kinda figured that but I needed to leave room for the "copy and pasters" to prove me wrong.

Quote:
It's not just you, fall fertility changes from week to week, it's a short laying season.

Steve

Kinda figured that but I needed to leave room for the "copy and pasters" to prove me wrong.

You are so bad... I always liked that about you.

Steve

I haven't got this worked out yet.

Our first poults were hatched on a neighbour's land in February. They have had several layings since then. We had three hens lay in May and now we have more eggs. The climate must be the main decider and ours is different from most on BYC. I guess that the nearest in the US is Florida.

I hope that a pattern will emerge so that we can plan a vacation!
cool.png

Quote:
Damn it, I'll give them the whole manual to read and some cash to buy feed then we can leave them to it for a few days. On the other hand, turkeys on Koh Chang beach might be fun!

Quote:
How far are you from the equator? I lived on the island of Guam for a few years and it was I think 13 degrees above the equator so the length of daylight changed very little for the time of year. Alot of people here do claim that the length of daylight hours triggers laying, once you have your laying seasons figured out it will be interesting to see.

Steve

I think that we are about 14 degrees north and, yes, daylight hours vary little through the year. I'll keep a note of when laying takes place.

Our pattern is probably distorted by the excess proportion of stags at the moment but my wife, tired of the fighting, has a cunning plan to deal with that.

Back
Top Bottom