1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey hen left her eggs today just when they are about to hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LocoPollo, Apr 17, 2009.

1. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    This morning I noticed my turkey hen was not on her nest. I felt the eggs and they were all cold. I have been waiting for a couple of days on her eggs to hatch and was really disappointed to find that she had apparently given up. I took all the eggs home and candled them, and found that two were rotten and starting to stink, and four were still good with one due to hatch anytime.

Why would she leave the nest and not just kick out the stinky eggs? Hopefully the good ones will still hatch in the incubator, but I am bummed that she didn't stick it out. Was it just the stinky eggs, or do hens do that from time to time?

2. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] I hope your eggs hatch! [​IMG]

Sometimes broodies give up ~ usually at the worst possible moment!
    Remember she has a tiny bird brain.

Good luck! Hope those eggs hatch!

3. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    So far so good! One is just a wiggling away, he should be pipping anytime! I have them in the hatcher with my chicken eggs which are due to hatch on monday (day 19 today)

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:The reason she left the nest was the rotten eggs. They can smell them.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by