Turkey hen mauled by Tom ........ poor girl

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by chickenzoo, Jun 24, 2010.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

One of my Bourban hens, one of my first hens, got really torn up by one of the Toms. She is hanging in there, but it looks nasty and flys had started to lay eggs in it. I cleaned it all out, there was not enough skin to suture, so I removed any hanging parts of it. I rinsed with an iodine wash, then Blue Koted it and applied a little Swat to keep the flys at bay. I gave her some aspirin water and some Amoxicillian. She is painful but aware and looks at me when I talk to her. I hope the aspirin kicks in soon. She hasn't tried to eat yet, I will she how she is in the morning... I hope she pulls through, she's been a tough old girl. [​IMG]

2. Plain_View_Farm

Plain_View_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I'm so sorry to hear that she is in so much pain. I know Toms can be rough at times. You may need to keep her away from him for a long time until she is totally healed.
    They make chicken saddles, I'm guessing they make or you could make a turkey saddle for her if you want to continue breeding her.

David

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I lost her this morning....... She was worse off than I thought. She really tried though................. she was a good old girl. Toms are locked up for now, all the girls are free ranging getting a good break.

4. Plain_View_Farm

Plain_View_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Sorry to hear you lost her... Boy you must have some rough boys there...
    Are you sure it was a Tom that did this to her?

David

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Yep, I have a very big Blue Slate Tom and I've had a problem with him hurting a hen before... but caught her in time. They have an acre to run, but I guess Mrs. turkey was his favorite... and she only had one eye...and was older, so he must have really did a number on her. He is not aggressive, just an aggressive breeder...... So he will stay locked up to keep the girls safe. [​IMG]

6. draftiemama

draftiemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Florida
    Oh that's sad, I hate losing any of my good old girls.

Sorry she didn't make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by