Turkey hen skin ripped off & exposed flesh when mating-what can I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChurkLover, Dec 22, 2010.

1. ChurkLover

ChurkLover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    St. Louis
    My standard bronze turkey hen came out of her house today with bloody sides. Both areas of her body, under the wing on each side, are bleeding and missing the skin. I noticed Tom trying to breed her last week. He is huge and she was making a noise that sounded like he was hurting her due to his weight. I shooed him off of her (sorry for those of you who think I should have let nature take it's course). I did not notice any injuries to her yesterday afternoon when I was feeding them nor last night when I locked up their house (although it was getting dark and she was already roosting inside). When she came out of the house today, she walked straight down to a grassy area and laid down. At first I thought she was trying to get away because she was hurt (she is always very friendly and social). I took some food down to her and noticed she was laying on two of her eggs (her first-she is about 9 months old). At first I thought she may have been attached by an animal that caused her injury because we lost one of our chickens (hen) last week when something attacked it and just ate the head and neck. Also, a rooster was dripping blood from his neck two days ago and another today had a bloody combs that was dripping on his neck feathers. The chickens free range all day (we live on 12 acres in the county) and we pen them in at night with chicken wire that is buried 18 inches below the ground and electric fencing to boot all around the perameter of their house and run. I set a live trap every night since the hen was killed last week and finally caught a skunk last night. I cannot tell if maybe the skunk did this or if the turkey's injuries are related to Tom trying to mate her and tearing her skin. The turkeys and chickens stay in the same run/house that is enclosed inside a lean-to area outside. Any ideas if the Tom turkey could have done this while mating or does this look like an animal attack? Of course, I am going to continue to set the live traps nightly. We have caught a possum out here before but it was months ago. Also, should I just put neosporin on her wounds? It doesn't look like there was too much muscle damage, she is walking around with her right wing hanging lower than usual and she did eat some today. I will try to get some pictures when my husband gets home and can help me hold her wing up a little.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I'd get something topical on the injuries. If it's the mating maybe she needs a saddle. Sometimes it seems like my rooster will want to mate the sick or injured bird. Anyway, pictures would be good. Keep us posted.

3. ChurkLover

Jul 9, 2010
    St. Louis
    What is a saddle and how can I get one? I will take pictures today and post them. Looking at them closer last night, I am pretty sure it was the Tom that created her injuries. The skin is literally just torn and hanging low, leaving the flesh exposed and bloody. Her wings do cover the injury, and I put some neosporin on her this morning again. It is cold outside, so when it warms up a bit I will get the pictures.

4. NajmoNests

NajmoNests Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    E. Central, MN
    [​IMG]
    My RP hen is also torn during mating. I sprayed it with blue kote and turned her lose in the yard, away from Tom, until lockup tonight. Will this skin grow back? Mine is torn under wing & towards breast. She is not bleeding. She was limping and caught her up to check for bumble foot, not! I will keep her from Tom until she heals, if this will heal. Suggestions please?

5. ChurkLover

Jul 9, 2010
    St. Louis
    My hen ended up healing just fine. I was amazed how well, actually. She made a full recovery so hopefully yours will do the same. I have used Blue Kote in the past on my birds and it seems to do wonderful things for healing. You are on the right track...keep the Blue Kote on and keep her away from Tom as long as you can until she heals. Good Luck. I hope she gets better soon!

6. alevine1976

alevine1976 New Egg

Jul 1, 2013
    We had a hen roughed up by a dog and he had some exposed flesh. I just used neosporin and she healed quite well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by