Turkey hissing

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by oldmossinger, Jul 22, 2010.

1. oldmossinger

oldmossinger Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2009
    Holland, VT
    I've got one of my 2 mo old BBW that seems to like hissing at me. Of course, it is doing things it wants to do and I don't want it to (roosting outside the coop, running around outside the fence). It is only the one doing it,none of the others do even being picked up. Just that one's attittude?

2. ksblum3

ksblum3 New Egg

Jul 21, 2010
    I don't know much about turkeys yet but we have a few ducks and one of them is just plain mean! The other ducks love being together and will run up to meet us when we bring food but this one duck (a male) chases after whoever is around ... even our turkey who is much bigger than him.

3. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    It's a warning to you to stay away. Quite a brave one at 2 months. Perhaps he's a male who has plans to rule the flock. Take no notice at this age but in another four months you might want to watch out for the beak! [​IMG]

4. oldmossinger

oldmossinger Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2009
    Holland, VT
    Thanks, I thought it might the "leave me alone" noise. I was under the impression that hens were more likely to do this when nesting and one got to close for their comfort. If this batch is like last years, I won't be too worried, in 4 more months they'll be in freezer camp.[​IMG] The ones that will be year round residents are coming next year. (gotta work out the housing kinks first)

5. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    I have two that do that at 7 weeks old. They do not like being held. Whenever I have to move them I get hissed at. They hate my guts...[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  6. thecityman

thecityman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    [​IMG] ha. Some of mine hate me to! I've got some 7 week olds and the strange thing (similar to above) that 2 of them are hissers and 3 are not. Seems like they'd all do it or none would. One of the more interesting things I've been learning (I'm a new turkey owner) is that they really do develop individual personalities. Its one of the things that make them fun to watch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by