Turkey, horribly injured, trying to help - welcom advice

dizzyg

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 29, 2011
Came home - and one of my turkey hens had hoped her fence, and gotten into the dog kennel. One of the dogs, who was mostly blind from an accident, caught her, and didn't kill her, but was eating on her... the most horrid thing I ever could have imagined. She's alive, and seems to have life in her, willing to live - so we washed all the areas, sprayed it heavily with colloidal silver, then put triple antibiotic ointment on non-stick pads and put on all the open wounds (entire back half of upper body stipped of all flesh - part of one leg open to muscle), minor teeth bites in wings, upper body ok, -- we wrapped her well with wide thick guaze. She's used to being handled, and gentle by nature, so didn't fuss at all, seemed to welcome the care. She's sitting quietly in a box at my feet, rapped well. We used a seringe and put an ounce of water down her throat with some aspirin (for pain) and tizanidine (for muscle relaxer) and colloidal silver, and 1 drop of vitamin E - didn't know what else to do, but know she has to be in such pain. I know the 'people' medicine might kill her - but had to try to address the pain as best we could. She is quiet now, and her breathing is much more relaxed from when we arrived on the scene - and yes, the dog will be put down as soon as my son is asleep. Meanwhile - if anyone has any ideas or comments that they think would help, any thoughts are welcome. I had thought of putting her out of her suffering, but she seems to have a desire to live, and is calmly letting me do whatever is needed, so just seems that I should try. Anyway, thanks for any thoughts or comments. -- Injury occured between 5pm-6pm - she's been resting quietly since 7pm, once all bandaged and in the house where it's warm. If you'd like to see the hen, I have a photo on facebook --

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2523451931299.2150212.1403393529&l=b530537c18&type=1

thanks ~ gail

The asprin might make bleeding a problem. It thins blood and slows clotting. Maybe tylenol would be better. childrens? cuz its liquid and you can titer it by weight if you wanted to try that for management of pain.

may be too late now but i wouldnt rush to put dog down, it only did what dogs in the wild do....and the turkey did get into its area. Unless of course there are other reasons to do so.

thanks for the thoughts - and you're right, children's tylonol would be better than aspirin. I'll use that next time it seems to need something for pain. There doesn't seem to be any more active bleeding. The dressings are all dry and clean, so at least that's not a worry for now, and it's nearly 4 hours now since we found her, and she's resting quietly, with calm respirations. She seems to be sleeping, and except for all the bandages, she looks calm and in a restful sleep.

I venture to guess she will pass overnight. The stress is terribly hard on them. I had a similar incident not too long ago and the hen seemed like she wanted to live, but she fooled me. I hope I am wrong and hope to hear your pretty girl is feeling good tomorrow. It sounds as if you have done all that you can for her and cared for her very well.

Keep us updated!

I would dose my animal family with "people medicine" too. We do what we have to. In her picture, she looks peaceful and calm. The excessive sleepiness is normal following trauma. I would worry more about hydration than food for the first day or so. Offer her gatorade or pedialyte instead of water for a day or 2. When you feel like offering food, give high protein, soft foods like scrambled or boiled eggs, moist chicken or other meat. Protein promotes healing. I think the dressing/bandaging you're doing looks good to me. You may want to add an antibiotic to prevent infection. I think it should be something you can get at the tractor store. Keep us posted and I have seen how poultry can heal from horrendous injury. Her turkey brain makes her want to live. It's in her DNA from a kazillion years of evolution. Gobble on!
hugs.gif
love.gif

I had a dog once who had lived with us for a year or more and one day had food aggression toward his chihuahua playmate and killed my baby boy "Poppy". I didn't put the dog down, but he was re-homed. I just couldn't love him anymore, so I understand.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry about your hen. Our turkeys are constantly fleeing their fenced area, usually to find us. They are so sweet and want to be with us.

I am praying that she is able to rest and heal. You have done much to help her. Please keep us posted.

The dog doesn't need to be put down for what he did to the turkey. It's our responsibility as caretakers to make sure things like that don't happen, but that's why they're called 'accidents'. The dog was just doing what the majority of dogs would do if a turkey flew into their pen. Don't kill your little boy's dog.
I hope your turkey makes it, but it sounds bad.
I'm sorry.

Unfortunately the hen did pass in the night. I do appreciate all the thoughts though as the words may help me in the future should another bird be injured. For the one that suggested antibiotics - colloidal silver is one of the most amazing and natural antibiotics you can use - it's quite expensive to buy - but we make it ourselves. I am glad at least that she did pass peacefully.

As to the dog, we loved him dearly. But the reason for putting him down was twofold beyond the horrid mangling of a live animal. He ran away about a year ago, and when we found him, he had fly strike. He was in the hospital for a month, with many surgeries. There was evidence of brain injury, and he lost most of his sight. Beyond that, he has enjoyed his life since leaving the hospital, and we've loved him dearly. But yesterday, after the fact, he was beyond desperate to get into the turkey pen. His own actions showed a zeal for blood - and he couldn't even process thought enough to kill his victim first - just catch, hold and eat. I was afraid for his next victim - would it be another animal, or would it be a child? I couldn't take the chance. As much as I loved him, and as hard as it was to do, it was the right thing to do.

Quote:
I do understand and that makes perfect sense about the dog. I had wrongly assumed you were just angry at the dog and were reacting because of that. I was wrong assuming that.
I think a lot of people would like to know how you make your own colloidal silver. That stuff is amazing!
At least the turkey died wrapped up with someone caring about her.

Back
Top Bottom