Turkey house hoop house or stand alone building whats your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by BooneHillbilly, Apr 6, 2012.

1. BooneHillbilly

BooneHillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    West Virginia
    I'm in the process of building 6 25x25' turkey pens. They will have individual house in each pen.. So what's your thoughts on hoops houses vs a small pole building in each pen? Price would be around the same with the HD tarps.

2. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
  3. junglebird

junglebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm building little hoop houses for my flock. I want structures that let in the most light, and feel that white tarp over a hoop structure is the most cost effective and stable (i.e., wind resistant) way to go.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

yours is very similar to ours.. ours are a little bigger (we used a total of 5 cow panels) 8'8" X 16'
    here's one we're finishing today (still need to add the door, poultry netting, hardware cloth and tarp)

[​IMG]

5. BooneHillbilly

BooneHillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    West Virginia
    I have been using the hoop houses for the cornish for a few years as well as my midget whites and even my hogs... Thing is only the hogs use them.. the turkeys just sit on their roosts no matter if is -2 or 100 degrees... Looks like hoops it is...

6. zekii

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Excellent !!! Hoping tractor supply has a sale soon on their cattle panels !!!

:)

7. yinepu

we got lucky.. the day we went and got ours was the last day of a sale.. so they were only 19.98 each

8. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    I like these hoop houses. How many large turkeys can these comfortably house.

9. zekii

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Do you move your large hoop house around, or does it stay put in one place ?

10. yinepu

we have 23 adults in one now.. no problems except for the occasional breeding fights between the toms which has settled down a lot since they have their pecking order established.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by