Turkey housing

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by snowduck, Mar 24, 2009.

1. snowduck

snowduck Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2008
    Tennessee
    Hello everyone
    This may have been asked on here already but I couldnt find anything on it. My wife and I are wanting to get about 4-6 Turkeys and I was wondering what size housing and what size pen should we plan on building. She Wants a pair of Burbons and a pair of Palms. They will be mainly pets (like all of our chickens) . I havent seen any coop or pen designs on here for turkeys.
    Any Help would be appreciated
    Thanks

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    how much room do you have to work with?

3. snowduck

snowduck Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2008
    Tennessee
    We have 2 acres and were thinking along the lines of a run like for pheasants or quail. Making the run 10 x 20 and no ideas on the housing part. We would like to let them out of the run daily like we do the chickens and just pen them up at night or if we arent at home for the day.

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    OK.. they do not need much for housing.. My Royal Palms have a coop, but they prefer to stay outside.. even at minus 20 F..

turkeys also like to roost HIGH..

I have 25 of them and they "decorate" the big pine tree.

If you do make a house for them, make it tight so nothing can get in.
    If a critter gets in they cannot escape like they could if they were outside.. make the house tall and the roost in it high. If you leave the rafters exposed, that is where you will find them..

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    My turkeys prefer to stay outside and roost in the trees, although I do have housing for them.

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG]
    This is Victor's house (Bourben red x) He is getting his wife this week. He occupies half and the chickens have the other half. He has a large branch secured to the wall to perch on.

7. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Very nice digs he has there! Where did you find that windmill? That's really neat.

8. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Windmill came from Harbor Frieght Tools. Very inexpensive too.

9. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Turkeys usually always prefer to stay out side. But if have preditors that can take them or a lot of wild turkeys they may go off with. You should use a coop at night, and fly ways during the day.

For 4 to 6, a coop can be about 6 by 8, with a fly way for during the day.

If you have very few preditors, a simple fenced in area can be used.

The bourbons tom's won't roost to high, but the hens can.

Bourbons are foragers, they like to wander around a lot. so if you don't want then wander around a ten acre area then yo have to contain them.

Tom

10. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Do the toms roost? I just got a tom and hen. The hen will roost, but the tom plops down where he can. What do they like to eat? I got some Game Cock food at Tractor Supply. But they don't seem too interested in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by