1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey housing

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by pipit, Apr 16, 2007.

1. pipit

pipit Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Brooksville, FL
    I have 12 large-breed chicks of varying ages and just aquired 2 Broadbreasted Bronze turkey chicks. My next door neighbor has about 5 of these huge birds and they just have them in a lean-to structure in a dog kennel run. What sort of housing will I need for my 2? I'm assuming I won't be able to house them with the chickens as they get big, but can they share the same pen while smaller? Also, they are straight run, how will I be able to tell the sex and by about what age?[​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hmmmm, I dont know your answer....but I was wondering the same thing...I was wanting to get a few turkeys....just for fun, not eating!

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    a turkey needs about 15sqft of coop space.so a 6 by 6 coop should work.

4. pipit

pipit Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Brooksville, FL
    Thanks. 6x6 ft. was about what I figured. So far the turkey chicks and the chickens are getting along fine in the brooder together. The turkeys actually have more personality. Their names are Wishbone and Drumstick. I had one before them, Entree, that refused to eat and died. These two are growing so fast, it's noticable each day that they have gotten bigger. My farmer friend told me that you really can't keep broadbreasted bronze turkeys as pets, because they get so big that their legs can't support their own weight. I don't know if that's true or not. She also told me she lost some of her young turkeys when it rained and they stood looking up with their mouths open and drowned. I'd heard about that and she said it really happens. Is she telling the truth, or just pulling my drumstick?

5. GuineaFowlKepper

GuineaFowlKepper Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    Abbeville, AL
    im getting a hen in a few weeks.

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:The BB types are not long lived at all, your friend is correct on that. On the drowning in the rain I can't belive anbody that raises turkeys would say that, it is an old wifes tale and totaly untrue. The die because they get wet and chilled from being outside at to young of an age. They need to be fully feathered before they can take getting wet and not getting chilled. A cold wet poult is very soon to be a dead poult.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by