Turkey in LOVE with water bucket

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by LadyTurkey, Oct 14, 2011.

1. LadyTurkey

LadyTurkey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    GreatFalls
    Now, Im not 100% sure Peep is a male or not yet. But when i take their watering thing out and re fill it , Peep walks up to it, starts letting his wing feathers sag down to the ground and turns red and actaully sighs and does this heavy breathing/ sighing thing lol. If you try and move him he will just lay down . I was wondering if maybe its because the watering thing is red?

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Mine love the water too. They go and sit in the kiddie pool all day and love walking through it. [​IMG]

3. Texasmja

Texasmja Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    Our turkey LOVES the water, I thought I had the only one like it, lol. When she was little she would stand in her water bowl, now she stands in the duck pool.

I clean it every day because it gets dirty from her and the ducks. When I empty it she will get inside and wait for the hose to be turned on, lol...

4. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    sounds like its a hen not a tom. A hen will droop her wings and crouch and if you nudge her she will sit down.

5. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Gee, my turkeys have no interest in the water. Although, when it was 100 degrees everyday one turkey hen would stand in a bucket of water for a bit. Then she would go back and sit on her eggs. A little over a month ago my young turkey fell in the kiddie pool and walked across the pool water almost to it's head and hoped out the other side. It was the strangest thing I had seen...... lol. Off it went like nothing happened. Other then that....... nothing. I bet it's a kick to watch them in a pool.

6. LadyTurkey

Jun 5, 2011
    GreatFalls
    Quote:I was wondering that as well. But i have seen this one display once. But he/she is smaller then the other two.

7. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:I was wondering that as well. But i have seen this one display once. But he/she is smaller then the other two.

hens will display at times, sometimes you will get one that even grows a beard. The only thing a hen cant do is gobble and well you know the other thing too.

8. LadyTurkey

Jun 5, 2011
    GreatFalls

hens will display at times, sometimes you will get one that even grows a beard. The only thing a hen cant do is gobble and well you know the other thing too.

Well i havent really heard anything out of any of them yet that i think is gobbeling. But i guess only time would tell , I thought that we would know for sure if these were males or not but we are still not 100% sure. I guess by spring we will know .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by