Turkey incubating questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AprilAWZ, Dec 21, 2007.

1. AprilAWZ

AprilAWZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2007
    northeastern MN
    Hi all!

Well, Santa/DH must think I'm something else, because I got the still-air LG that I asked for to use as a hatcher. So, as I'm going through the booklet, I noticed that the folks as LG say that the chicken egg cups that come with their turner will not accomidate turkey eggs. Is this the case, or have any of you gotten them to work? And, if my LG turner won't work, can I put a Hova Bator turner in it instead? I normally wouldn't have any qualms about hand turning, but I know that I'd forget more often than not. [​IMG]

I already have a forced air LG with a turner, and just always assumed that it would work for turkey eggs, but you know what they say about assumptions...[​IMG]

2. red_raider_64

red_raider_64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Stephenville Texas
    This is probably a dumb question but what is a DH. I figure it means husband but I dint know lol.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It really depends on the size of your turkey eggs. While some (especially the first eggs) can be similar in size to large chicken eggs, as the hen matures they will get bigger. I find that I have to skip slots in the turner when I hatch turkey eggs so that the eggs do not touch. I have also done the same for duck eggs. I have never really filled a turner with them because they are just too tight due to size, so figure about half the volume of chickens eggs.

Jody

4. AprilAWZ

AprilAWZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2007
    northeastern MN
    Thanks, Jodi! I was really hoping I could use what I already have and not have to buy new turners, etc.

Yeah, Red, it's "dear husband"...I was trying to think of a funnier answer, but the coffee hasn't kicked in yet...[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by