Turkey integration trouble with chickens - injured

DesertPollos

Chirping
Dec 19, 2020
I integrated my new broad breasted white into my chicken flock (all hens) last week. I have 10 hens. The turkey is a girl too. Getting along was great the first several days, but now they’ve turned on her. Her wing was injured yesterday and she has a few bloody peck marks on her neck. Is this injury serious? Anything i can do to help her? Also, she seems very intent with still staying with the flock, sometimes chirping to be with them, but clearly she will have to sleep out of coop for now. Any advice ? Help on the injury
ABDF9968-D0D6-4B43-A56F-B2642B5E50FA.jpeg
700AE8E4-3D5D-4140-BC9F-DA644129F9A7.jpeg
108DB91F-BBC5-4D9C-B682-94E32D221A61.jpeg
CB832D9B-0E77-458E-841C-9B8F88104810.jpeg

Looks like a broken feather. Not serious, but maybe cover it with some blu-kote because chickens like to peck at wounds. It is usually easier to integrate birds if they are separated by a fence for a few weeks first.

I integrated my new broad breasted white into my chicken flock (all hens) last week. I have 10 hens. The turkey is a girl too. Getting along was great the first several days, but now they’ve turned on her. Her wing was injured yesterday and she has a few bloody peck marks on her neck. Is this injury serious? Anything i can do to help her? Also, she seems very intent with still staying with the flock, sometimes chirping to be with them, but clearly she will have to sleep out of coop for now. Any advice ? Help on the injuryView attachment 2807456View attachment 2807457View attachment 2807458View attachment 2807459
Yep, broken blood feather. At the appearance of blood the chickens will seriously go after the blood. You could also paint it with Rooster Booster Pick No More.

I integrated my new broad breasted white into my chicken flock (all hens) last week. I have 10 hens. The turkey is a girl too. Getting along was great the first several days, but now they’ve turned on her. Her wing was injured yesterday and she has a few bloody peck marks on her neck. Is this injury serious? Anything i can do to help her? Also, she seems very intent with still staying with the flock, sometimes chirping to be with them, but clearly she will have to sleep out of coop for now. Any advice ? Help on the injuryView attachment 2807456View attachment 2807457View attachment 2807458View attachment 2807459
She will be fine. She just needs time to heal up. Might work better if you can put your turkey in a pen next to the chickens for a week or two so the chickens can get to know her and make sure there is no blood left on the turkeys wing. Dry or wet. Chickens are drawn to blood. They will hurt your turkey more if they see red. Turkeys are fast healers.

Back
Top Bottom