Turkey is agressive

Hunters channel

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2019
Yesterday afternoon my broad breasted white Tom (around 1 year 3 months) was getting mean. I walked into the barn and he came running up to me trying to spur and hit me with his chest. I kicked him away ( I didnt want to hurt him) but he kept coming after me. I took a shovel and got him out of the barn while I was feeding animals. I opened the door, herded him to the back of the barn and ran. This morning I went out to the barn and he came after me again. I used the shovel and pushed him into a cage for now. Not too sure if it’s because of breeding season because he drums and gobbles like he is looking for a mate (my only turkey besides 7 babies) he’s been protecting my bantam pen and the baby turkeys. Not too sure what to do since I pinned him down for a few minutes and keeps going after me.

Generally a fighting turkey will continue to fight until it wins or loses. I would either eat him or keep him penned because he probably won't stop for a while. He may forget about after a few months as hormones wane after the summer solstice.

Turkeys are stubborn birds that often won't drop an idea once it gets one in its head.

Yesterday afternoon my broad breasted white Tom (around 1 year 3 months) was getting mean. I walked into the barn and he came running up to me trying to spur and hit me with his chest. I kicked him away ( I didn't want to hurt him) but he kept coming after me. I took a shovel and got him out of the barn while I was feeding animals. I opened the door, herded him to the back of the barn and ran. This morning I went out to the barn and he came after me again. I used the shovel and pushed him into a cage for now. Not too sure if it’s because of breeding season because he drums and gobbles like he is looking for a mate (my only turkey besides 7 babies) he’s been protecting my bantam pen and the baby turkeys. Not too sure what to do since I pinned him down for a few minutes and keeps going after me.
Since it is a BBW, I would process him. It may have to do with breeding season. Turkeys really should not be kept alone as they are very social birds and no other kinds of poultry cannot satisfy their need to be with their own kind.

I would also recommend that you switch to using a broom rather than a shovel to keep him at a distance.

Food effect on aggressive turkeys

Click on the aggressive behavior link to download the pdf.

I'd get some maracas and every time he comes after you shake them violently at him as you run towards him waving your arms acting like a lunatic. The unexpected and strange noise may frighten him off. Unconventional, but that's what I'd try in your place, lol. Barring that, I'd try a super soaker.

I'd get some maracas and every time he comes after you shake them violently at him as you run towards him waving your arms acting like a lunatic. The unexpected and strange noise may frighten him off. Unconventional, but that's what I'd try in your place, lol. Barring that, I'd try a super soaker.
Never considered the hose lol. Might actually work as he hates water.

the only time my Turkeys ever had any aggression is when they tried to protect me, and nail me instead (last week is the 3rd time my Tom has ever attacked me by accident), he tries to protect me from any Roosters or Male ducks that start making a lot of noise when I catch them (basically he sees me put them down and he happens to be behind me and just "punches" with his wing, or flogs)

the only time my Turkeys ever had any aggression is when they tried to protect me, and nail me instead (last week is the 3rd time my Tom has ever attacked me by accident), he tries to protect me from any Roosters or Male ducks that start making a lot of noise when I catch them (basically he sees me put them down and he happens to be behind me and just "punches" with his wing, or flogs)
Well he actually attacks me on purpose (chasing me around the yard) he is in a cage and still tries to reach me through it.

Back
Top Bottom