turkey jake staggering panting help!

bunnibird55

Songster
10 Years
Oct 13, 2009
NW Ohio
Please....any ideas help! I have 15 turkeys and 65 chickens and 14 ducks - all free range together and have three barns to be in. One of my turkey jakes - 8 months old - started getting picked on excessively by the tom and 4 other jakes a week ago. They had him down and would have killed him if I had not gotten him away from them - they are all the same size. I have him in the smaller chicken barn now and he is having trouble walking. He staggers and appears disoriented. Then he starts panting. It is only 20 degrees with wind chills of 4 degrees so it is not hot by any means. He does not have odd stools, he has no nasal discharge - nothing I can see except the staggering and panting. Is it possible the others caused neurological damage to him? Should I medicate with a broad spectrum antibiotic? Should I bring him in to my garage away from the chickens? He is a Bourbon Red and they are so hardy - I am stumped - help - please?!!

Please? Anyone with similar experiences? He stabilized for several days, but appears to be panting more today........

Any one with turkeys? Do they attack each other to kill???? They have bumped chests before, but have never hurt each other......

Iv never owned that many at one time but..i had 2 toms once that hated each other..if i didnt break their fights up, i believe i would of found one dead. He could possible have head trauma.
How many where attacking him?

His eyes look normal - he had 4 full-sized toms attacking him at the same time. His dad and three brothers. They were pecking him around the head and actually dragging him by his snood. He misses the other turkeys by being over in the smaller barn, but that is the only safe place except last night he didn't get up on the straw bales to roost. I didn't know if I should isolate him from the chickens in that barn and give him antibiotics although I don't see anything except superficial wounds around his head. I thought he was better until last night and this morning. I get so doggone attached to my animals - that is why I have so many toms/jakes - I couldn't decide who needed to go to freezer camp because I like them all. I am such a wimp......

They always go for the head...thats why im worried it could be swelling...i wouldnt give antibiotics yet. Dosnt seem to me that there is an infection..but then again i cant see him.. I wouldnt put him back in there. He will be fine with the chickens. I get the same way,but i wont eat my animals. But i will sell them to people who will as long as they dont tell me.
I wish i could help you more.. Can you post pucs of him or maybe a video of him walking?

I brought him in tonight and put him in a big wooden brooder box I have in my basement. I put a 100 watt red bulb over one end of the brooder, gave him water with electrolytes and his pellets. Once he stopped panting from his fear of a strange place he started eating and is not panting as hard. I did give him some baytril because he now has a bit of clear discharge from his nose. He is not able to stand up and walk. He has scabs all over his head and neck from where he was attacked by the others. Do you think there is any hope of him getting better if they did neurological damage to him? I really do not understand why they turned on him so violently......

Back
Top Bottom