Turkey laid an egg?? She isn’t supposed to anymore

is it a myth that once a turkey hen lays an egg and hatches out poults that she can’t lay again? My turkey laid an egg and she already had babies
That is completely and totally false.

Every turkey is its own individual and may or may not do the same as other turkeys. They are seasonal layers but the broad breasted varieties have been bred to pretty much lay all year so that the turkey meat industry can have poults available all year.

Normal heritage turkeys can lay from spring into fall. Most heritage turkey hens will stop laying for the season once they have successfully hatched a clutch if they are permitted to brood and raise those poults. Those will lay again the next year. If they are prevented from sitting on a nest of eggs, most can and do lay from spring until late in the fall.

I personally had a Royal Palm hen that started laying eggs one week after she hatched her first clutch. She still had poults in the nest with her and her new eggs.

That is completely and totally false.

Every turkey is its own individual and may or may not do the same as other turkeys. They are seasonal layers but the broad breasted varieties have been bred to pretty much lay all year so that the turkey meat industry can have poults available all year.

Normal heritage turkeys can lay from spring into fall. Most heritage turkey hens will stop laying for the season once they have successfully hatched a clutch if they are permitted to brood and raise those poults. Those will lay again the next year. If they are prevented from sitting on a nest of eggs, most can and do lay from spring until late in the fall.

I personally had a Royal Palm hen that started laying eggs one week after she hatched her first clutch. She still had poults in the nest with her and her new eggs.
Crazy egg laying machine!

Back
Top Bottom