Turkey laryngitis??

Katz222

Chirping
May 28, 2021
I don't know if I can post videos or not here but I did get some. Two of my turkeys poults and 1 or 2 chicks have this laryngitis thing going on. Very muted with their louder chatter and almost no sound with lighter chatter. The turkeys were all from the same order and I had all 15 for maybe two weeks. Then my sister took 10 poults up to her place. From there things changed. The poults almost all of them lost their voices. A few died. Some of her 2 week old chicks died as well. They were all in the same crate. They were on chick starter. Mine were on game starter. They were in her basement with a red light and her floors are radiant. After the first poult died she increased heat and had no deaths for two weeks. After that she had a couple more chicks pass and 2 more poults. She moved them to her chicken coop at about 6 or 8 weeks. They were in a large dog crate to keep seperated from the older chickens and ahe had a red light on them. She was worried the chick starter was too powdery and may have caused a few deaths. She changed to a crumbled broiler feed. Around the same time I also changed to broiler as I ran out of game starter and these are heritage turkeys and I don't want them to overgrow. After moving to the barn she lost another chick and another poult. I in the meantime had lost none of either and mine were far bigger than hers. Then they all started getting taken by some predator. She lost all but two turkeys, all 6 guineas and a bunch of chicks and adult chickens. The last time she lost her favorite seabrights and bantams. She brought several chickens and chicks over to my place and a few up to our moms. So these two turkeys and 1 chick maybe 2 have almost no voices. They are quickly growing though still on the smaller side compared to mine. I switched to organic mixed flock grower and supplement oyster shells. They came May 24th so are 10.5 weeks old. There are no other signs. No rales, discharge from anywhere, diarrhea. Nothing but muted voices. They are energetic and eat and drink well. They have all been here now with my flock for 3 weeks. I am stumped. Could it be from not having enough protein when they were very small? Because they were on chick starter instead of game? I also fed mine food scraps and chick grit starting day two and my sister doesn't do that till they are much older.

No. Several still have whispery voices. No other symptoms and it's been months. I am clueless.

Back
Top Bottom