Turkey laying eggs on property

Peevesmom

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2017
I allow my 2 turkeys to free roam about an acre of land, how do I know if the female lays an egg on the property? I am just concerned because they free roam during the day, but they have to get put in an enclosure at night. I don't want to separate her from any eggs she lays.

I allow my 2 turkeys to free roam about an acre of land, how do I know if the female lays an egg on the property? I am just concerned because they free roam during the day, but they have to get put in an enclosure at night. I don't want to separate her from any eggs she lays.
Depending on where you are located it may or may not be time for your hen to start laying. You can try to make an attractive nesting site inside their enclosure so that the hen will lay there rather than in a hidden nest. Some people use large totes, some use the Dogloos. I find that a pallet or a wide board leaned up against a wall can be an attractive nesting area. Whatever kind of nest you decide on, "seed" it with a fake ore or several fake eggs. If your hen decides to use your desired nest, just leave it alone once she starts laying unless you want to collect the eggs to incubate yourself.

An indication that she has started laying is if she disappears for several hours during the day. If this behavior is noticed, she will head for the hidden nest when you release her in the morning. Follow at a distance and take note of where she disappears. Later in the day after she has returned to normal activities, you can return to the area where she disappeared and look closely for a hidden nest.

Back
Top Bottom