Turkey laying too many eggs!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by thebirdgirl, Jan 25, 2009.

1. thebirdgirl

thebirdgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Northeast, MA
    My turkey hen is 6 months old and started laying eggs about 3 weeks ago. The problem is for the last week, she is laying 2 or 3 eggs a day! Sometimes one of them is hard-shelled but most of the time they are soft and break under her after she lays them. She is acting OK and seems healthy but I worry that this isn't good for her. I don't want her to get impacted or malnourished. Any ideas?

2. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    give her calcium!!! send extra eggs my way [​IMG] if fertilized that is...

3. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    If slowing her egg production is what your wanting to do then your gonna have to put her somewhere in the dark.

4. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    sounds like she is popping them out faster than they can FULLY develope. Thus the soft shells.
    Young bird!!! Is all.
    I wouldnt be overly worried. She will straighten out with time .
    If she doesnt start to lay hard shells , then suplement her some calcium(oyster shell)
    My hens tend to do this on their first year, and the first week or so of a new laying season.
    As for the multiple eggs per day! Dont knock that. If they'll harden up, sounds like you have a gold mine in her LOL
    Good luck,
    Aubrey

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Our Royal hen did this at 7 months (one huge one small same day) only a couple soft shelled. She did this in Dec/early Jan. then went fallow until May when she got serious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by