turkey leashes?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by granmahen, Apr 27, 2009.

1. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    DH is worried if we let turkey free range part of day she will fly away. We're in town so that wouldn't be a good idea. He wonders if there's a way to leash her until we see what she'll do. Any ideas?

2. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Interesting concept! Perhaps a dog harness modified to fit her? You didn't mention if she is full grown... Plus if you are in town it is likely a dog will kill her.

3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I had a friendly rooster that I could walk on a leash. I put the leash on his leg above his spur, so it couldnt slide off and it worked.

4. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Yes I have thought about this. and maybe one of those harnesses for dogs that go around the chest.

5. cloudswinger

cloudswinger Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Make sure the harness doesn't go around the wings. They can't walk that well if their wings are strapped down too... learned that as a kid with some chickens. I'll assume that turkeys probably are the same way.

6. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I would say put the leash to the leg. I have done it with chickens when I was young and it worked great. Good Luck:D

7. Peeper

Peeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Little Rock, AR
    Funny, I was just asking the guy at the feed store how I could tie out my peacock and he said his dad use to tie out their rooster by putting a leather strap around the leg, put a hole in the leather and tie or clip a leash to the strap. I'm going to try it.

8. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Put the food in an obvious spot and you shouldn't have to worry about her taking off. It is breeding season, but mostly the toms do the wandering.

9. KellyandKatie

KellyandKatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
  10. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    Thanks everyone...will try the leg leash first thing.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by