turkey lovers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by williammiles, Nov 16, 2008.

1. williammiles

williammiles Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    I have two bronze turkey hens.Both started setting this week,my question is I didn't know turkeys layed doing the winter months.I live in Virginia,where hunting season just came in both turkeys made their nest in the woods like wild turkeys.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

With hunting season in full force...I would say, if you want to keep your turkeys....waite untill dark and move them to a safer spot, in a barn or coop. They may or may not continue to " set" but then again, with it being almost winter...the eggs may or may not be fertile! Do you have a incubator? Might have to try them in there once you move the hens.

3. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Move them!!!

I have moved several of mine and they have continued to set. Move them at night. Put the hen and her eggs in an area where she is contained, otherwise she may just walk off looking for her nest. Make sure she can see her eggs. Take as much nesting material from her nest as possible. She may walk around calling for awhile before she settled back down on her eggs. I have not had one yet that has not gone back to her eggs. Even if they don't continue to set, it's better than them being Thanksgiving dinner.

Good luck.

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I agree to move them.... but definitely after dark that's your best chance of keeping them on the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by