Turkey Mama Abandoned Nest, Help!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by flockeeper, Jun 17, 2016.

1. flockeeper

flockeeper Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2015
    Any experienced advice please. My turkey mama was sitting on eight eggs. She hatched four and left the nest with the living chicks, because the chicks couldn't get back into the nest. I put up a ladder walk-up board for the chicks, but the they aren't using it. I'm pretty sure the four unhatched eggs are fertile because we have two toms and three hens. My hen has been off the nest the whole day (today is the 17th of June) and I estimated the eggs to hatch around the 18th of June. Is there some way save the unhatched so that they will hatch?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Either an incubator or a broody hen is you only option. Hens will leave the nest after a day or two and won't return. Usually the eggs they leave are no good though, unless you had a staggered hatch. You can try candling them and listening to see if you hear peeping or movement.

3. flockeeper

May 18, 2015
    Thank you I'll see what I can do.

4. flockeeper

May 18, 2015
    Update: We got to the eggs to late. When we opened them up one was rotten and the other three where a few days from hatching. Thank you again for your suggestion I will learn from this whole experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by