Turkey mites or chiggers? Help I am itching so bad

HeatherLynn

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2009
2,045
41
234
Kentucky, Cecilia
ok guys here is the deal. I went to a little visited corner of the farm to gather some blackberry branches for my goats. A few hours later I have some bites. A few hours after that I am in major itching torment, initially my mom said turkey mites. We have them bad and thats how the bite looked at first. Then all of a sudden its swollen, hot, and blistering up. I know its a mite because I scratched one off and put it under my sons microscope..

It looks like poison ivy, blisters and all. Itches so bad I feel like crying or screaming. Drives me insane. Vinegar bath helps as long as I am in the water. benedryl spray helps a little, not much. I put vasaline over it because someone said that worked. Mouth watch didn't do a thing either. This rash kept getting worse and worse till i took benedryl. I seem to be holding steady at this point. Other than I now have fever blisters on my tongue and am worried. Have you guys ever seen bites that are all blistered up like that. I would say one blister is about the size of a quarter.

edited to add: these are so small the only way I can see them is microscope. I see the dot but in order to tell its a bug I have to use the microscope. Its a tiny pin dot in the middle of a blister. I have large masses of these blisters. I was messing around with oak trees and straw also. help

Update: Ok well the fever blister went away for the most part. I only had a few small fever blisters on my tongue. I have tried every home remedy in the book except bathroom cleaner spray, kerosine, lighter fluid, and windex. I am not that desperate.

What I have found to work so far:

Vinegar bath: limited relief but still it helped.

vasaline: helps definitely

Benedryl spray: limited and at times made it itch worse

Ivarest spray: useless for this

Bleach water bath: WOW did this help alot ( half cup of bleach into a full tub and soak for 15)

Benedryl pills: Not sure how much it helped the itching but I at least slept through alot of the itching

I just have to make it till Monday and then the dr will see me. No emergency dr visit for me, they don't consider this an emergency. Insurance would not cover an ER visit either. Not serious enough.
 
Last edited:

HeatherLynn

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2009
2,045
41
234
Kentucky, Cecilia
Yea, my doctor doesn't do emergency calls. I have to wait till morning and hope she comes in. If not her nurse will have to take care of me. I never ever ever get bites and all of a sudden bam. Seems I might be a bit allergic to the bites. Not having fun with this. I can't live in a vinegar bath.
 

chubbydog811

Songster
11 Years
Dec 24, 2008
397
0
129
New Hampshire
I think I'd be going to the ER instead of waiting for my doctor...If it gets bad enough to swell your air way shut, you're not going to have a good day to say the least.
I had that problem with poison ivy...Got it bad enough - multiple times actually - that I had to get in that day for treatment before it spread to my throat and I couldn't breath anymore.
 

dewey

Songster
9 Years
Nov 9, 2010
2,454
24
171
north of eternity
fl.gif
Hoping you are getting better.
 

HeatherLynn

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2009
2,045
41
234
Kentucky, Cecilia
I should start mending now. I was finally able to get into the dr's office. I had turkey mite bites, thankfully the bleach bath got rid of the little buggers BUT because of the bites I got cellulitis. Also I have poison sumac or poison oak. Thats what was around the area I was working in. Not not not having a good time. The shot they gave me helped a ton already so now its allergy pills, more allergy pills, steroids, and antibiotics to be followed by more allergy pills and probiotics. FUN
 

dewey

Songster
9 Years
Nov 9, 2010
2,454
24
171
north of eternity
Oh my gosh, that's a lot going on. So glad you got in to see the doc and that they're on top of it.
hugs.gif
I hope you feel better very soon and get some relief!
 

HeatherLynn

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2009
2,045
41
234
Kentucky, Cecilia
I already feel better. The pain is gone and the itch is under control. She thinks everything was early enough on that this should be easy to take care of. My only complaint is the steroid. It is very very effective but it makes me so hyper and a bit anxious. I about go out of my mind. I know its makes me hyper enough for my husband to get a bit annoyed. He understands but when he starts fussing at me like the kids to calm down for just 5 minutes I know the meds have kicked in. I have had these before and I knew this was coming but the doctor insisted this would work best. I guess I will play laundry and house cleaning catch up and maybe go through my to do list and finish it off lol. I am treating the anxiety with a large dose of Andrea Bocelli. Going to be a fun few days for the hubby.
 

RamonaYork

Hatching
Jun 13, 2015
2
0
8
ok guys here is the deal. I went to a little visited corner of the farm to gather some blackberry branches for my goats. A few hours later I have some bites. A few hours after that I am in major itching torment, initially my mom said turkey mites. We have them bad and thats how the bite looked at first. Then all of a sudden its swollen, hot, and blistering up. I know its a mite because I scratched one off and put it under my sons microscope..

It looks like poison ivy, blisters and all. Itches so bad I feel like crying or screaming. Drives me insane. Vinegar bath helps as long as I am in the water. benedryl spray helps a little, not much. I put vasaline  over it because someone said that worked. Mouth watch didn't do a thing either. This rash kept getting worse and worse till i took benedryl. I seem to be holding steady at this point. Other than I now have fever blisters on my tongue and am worried. Have you guys ever seen bites that are all blistered up like that. I would say one blister is about the size of a quarter.

edited to add: these are so small the only way I can see them is microscope. I see the dot but in order to tell its a bug I have to use the microscope.  Its a tiny pin dot in the middle of a blister. I have large masses of these blisters. I was messing around with oak trees and straw also. help

Update: Ok well the fever blister went away for the most part. I only had a few small fever blisters on my tongue. I have tried every home remedy in the book except bathroom cleaner spray, kerosine, lighter fluid, and windex. I am not that desperate.

What I have found to work so far:

Vinegar bath: limited relief but still it helped.

vasaline: helps definitely

Benedryl spray: limited and at times made it itch worse

Ivarest spray: useless for this

Bleach water bath: WOW did this help alot ( half cup of bleach into a full tub and soak for 15)

Benedryl pills: Not sure how much it helped the itching but I at least slept through alot of the itching

I just have to make it till Monday and then the dr will see me. No emergency dr visit for me, they don't consider this an emergency. Insurance would not cover an ER visit either. Not serious enough.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom