Turkey moved into coop

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by dsfrango, Oct 12, 2011.

1. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Hi, just thought this was a story maybe someone else has experienced, Any opinions are welcome, whether I did the right thing or not.

So, Ive been watching a batch of turkeys born this spring. It seemed like everyday there was 1 less starting from 14. So down to the last 2 and I find one in the road hit. So one left which was hanging around. So it started interacting with my 10 bantams and 4 guinea's. It was quite funny how she bonded with the guineas. For about 1 1/2 months she hung around and interacted and ate like a queen. However she never roosted in the coop and I began to notice my guineas nonchalantly wandering further and further in the evenings as the turley made its way into the woods. One evening I cam home late like 7PM and wa missing 2 guineas. I later found 1 of the carcasses in the woods. I feel like the turkey was 1/2 responsible so the best I could do besides having her for thanksgiving dinner, I relocated her. About 10 miles away where i know theres lots of turkeys. Havent seen her but i hope shes well. I have a couple pics ill try to attach.

THANKS for reading!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Beautiful turkey! I have two domestic turkeys, my first ever, and I just love them. We have lots of wild turkeys roaming in the wooded area where we live, but I haven't ever seen them come close to the house.

I hope she does well in her new environment......I don't have guineas, but from what I understand they are not as friendly as chickens....Thanks for sharing your story!

Sharon

3. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    I have no idea if that was the right thing or not, because I have never owned a turkey or guinea ever. The only poultry I have is chickens.

Anyways, [​IMG] WARNING: This forum is very addictive!

4. It depends on what sex the turkey was. This time of year though, they will be starting to gather in flocks for winter. I bet she will do just fine.

They do have a pecking order just like chickens as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by