Turkey nest off the ground good or bad?

bullrider

Songster
11 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Utah
My turkey is sitting on 5 eggs, Her nest is about 4 feet off the ground i worry about the chicks fallin off should i try to move her nest ? They should hatch around the 6th of June.

hmmm im no turkey expert but maybe you could biuld a net around it to catch the chicks? or some foam on the bottom so if they do fall there wont get hurt? I think moving the nest may disturb the mom and he would leave it. Like i said im no expert but thats just my opinion.

when they hatch move the nest and poults to ground level, they will take a day or so to hatch, once the first poults come out and start chirping the hen should stay with them. When you move the nest make it so the hen can't get back to that nest site, she will try and if she can she might forget the nest with the poults. Also, once all the poults have hatched if you have a secure pen for her and the poults they will stand a better chance of making it.

Steve in NC

Thanks, the pen is a 10x10 shed with a 10x12 run i also have chicken in the same pen as her is that ok?

Keep an eye on the poults and make sure the other birds aren't going after them. It really depends on the birds in the pen, sometimes they will go after chicks or poults sometimes not. We have seen chickens take over poults from turkey hens and the other way around, Sometimes they will attack the little ones. There is no way to predict what will happen - it's good to have a back up plan just in case.

Steve in NC

Back
Top Bottom