turkey off balance when walking

sheilab1943

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2021
North Eastern California
Good morning. I am new at raising turkeys. Last week I noticed one not roosting in the trees with the others. Then I noticed it walking like it was dizzy. Then it started flopping over when it walked. Its neck is not straight like the others it is pulled in(only way I could explain it) It is eating and drinking and its poop is runny but no blood, its like water. Now I have noticed another turkey kind of a little off balance and not roosting in the trees just on the ground. The weather has been very hot and we have lots of smoke from fires. I also have let them out a couple times to free range. Can anyone please give me an idea of what this could be and how to fix it, if possible.

If food isn't completely impossible to pick apart (mash/fermented or in pellet form), birds can and usually will pick out their favorites and leave others. Like people. Sure, mangos or white meat might be pretty good for you, but if you're eating mainly that and hardly anything elsr, you're gonna become deficient

The starter is crumbles with 22% protein
Turkeys need a high protein turkey or game bird starter usually around 28% to 30% protein. It isn't just the protein level that is important. A proper starter for turkeys will also have the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that they need for proper development.

BOSS is a low protein, high fat feed that is like candy to birds. They will pick out the BOSS in preference to everything else.

Update: I have found organic turkey/game bird starter 28%. I took the two young turkeys to the vet. I wanted to make sure there were no diseases, since I want to start raising them.

The vet was not sure what was wrong. It was so hot and the turkeys were not 100% healthy so that made it worse on them. I did not want them to suffer any longer. I decided to have them both euthanized and decided to have a necropsy on both. The result, They found nothing out of the normal. I want to thank everyone for their advice. All the rest of my turkeys are doing good, growing very fast:)

Thank You
Sheila

Good morning. I am new at raising turkeys. Last week I noticed one not roosting in the trees with the others. Then I noticed it walking like it was dizzy. Then it started flopping over when it walked. Its neck is not straight like the others it is pulled in(only way I could explain it) It is eating and drinking and its poop is runny but no blood, its like water. Now I have noticed another turkey kind of a little off balance and not roosting in the trees just on the ground. The weather has been very hot and we have lots of smoke from fires. I also have let them out a couple times to free range. Can anyone please give me an idea of what this could be and how to fix it, if possible.
What color are the feces?

Back
Top Bottom