turkey on chicken eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by birdsss, Feb 13, 2013.

1. birdsss

birdsss Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2012
    Sardis Arkansas
    so i've got a hen turkey that went broody about 3 weeks ago. she was settin on unfertile turkey eggs so one night i swapped them out with a dozen or so chicken eggs that should be fertile. she took to them fine and has been on them ever since. so the question is, what's she gonna think when the chicks start hatching? will she be ok with it or will i have to remove them quickly before she kills or rejects them somehow? any other opinions or ideas appreciated, thanks

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Mine were fine with the fact that they hatched chickens instead of turkeys. I removed them a week later because the one hen kept trying to steal the others chicks. If you do remove them I'd lock the turkey hen up first so she doesn't run off like mine did.

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Turkeys and chickens dont know the difference when they are raised together. I have had hens raise baby ducks. I had a tom who fell in love with a banty. she would stand between his legs while they ate together, the other hens would ruff her up she learned to use him as a body guard and the tom would take off after a hen if they pecked her.

4. birdsss

birdsss Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2012
    Sardis Arkansas
    Thanks for the replies. Was just worried shed kill em or kick em out the nest

5. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    That is an awesome idea. Turkeys sitting on chicken eggs...Talk about a big efficient incubator!

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    chickens are better moms though. We had some wild turkeys once that shared a nest, when one batch hatched out the other turkey took over the nest to finish hatching the rest of the eggs. the sad part was one of the first babies couldn't keep up with the mom that left, so it came back to the nest but the new mom didn't want it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by