1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

turkey opinions

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by vortec, Apr 6, 2009.

1. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    As turkey season nears, I am now kicking myself for not thinking of this sooner. Why not put a turkey on the farm where there are no turkeys in that specific area that is owned by us, to try to draw in wild turkeys so I don't have to go with other people on their land, which usually involves traveling, time, etc. What breeds would you reccomend to serve this purpose? Would a tom or hen be best for this? Thanks in advance!

vortec

Also, for all of the turkey owners, do you eat the eggs the turkey hens lay? I have had zero experience with turkeys so I haven't a clue.

2. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    If there are no wild turkeys there then something besides tame turkeys is absent from the area. If it was prime turkey habitat they would already be there.

3. vortec

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Turkeys are there, they just do not roost on our land. Every once in a great while you will hear a tom back in the woods, early in the morning. And here in Eastern NC, they are scattered all throughout the woods around the roanoke river. Its my belief that a tame turkey will draw the wild ones to my land and hopefully I will get a resident flock. Being the big turkey hunter I am, that would be a dream come true.

Still looking for suggestions and experience with different breeds.

vortec

4. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    You need to contact your Dept of Natural Resources turkey biologist and see if you can get him/her to come out and look at your property and let you know what you need to do to make your property more attractive to wild birds. Putting tame turkeys on your property is not enough to convince the wild birds to vacate the habitat they are comfortable in so they can come hang with your tame birds.

I have a penful of turkeys and am surrounded by wild birds and they still stay on neighboring property where they have been for generations. Habitat is the key.

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  6. vortec

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:We are in Beaufort county and have quite a few eastern wilds around here- last time we saw them in the field behind our house I counted 47 total. Our turkeys don't do anything to call in the wilds, the wilds mostly hang in the river bottoms and come to the fields to forage from time to time. Our local flock covers a pretty wide area square mile wise.

Steve in NC

You are probably right about the wild attraction. In regards to opinions of different breeds of turkeys, what has been your experiences with various types of breeds and which would you reccomend?

vortec

7. favoritekitty

favoritekitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Massachusetts
    So, you want to attract wild turkeys to your yard just so that you can shoot them?

Isnt that kind of like when people put out deer food all year in their yard and then as soon as hunting season is here, BAM, they shoot them?

Am I allowed to say that is bull poop here?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  9. favoritekitty

favoritekitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Massachusetts
    STEVE! Im trying to yell at him here [​IMG]

10. vortec

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:I put corn out and shoot deer as well. There is nothing wrong with that. Its way more sporting then dog hunting. If you raise a roo just to BAM, cull it and eat it, is that BS too? Is raising a meat bull and bam shooting it BS too? Is taking a fertilized egg and bam frying it up BS too? Is taking a live apple from the tree, and bam picking it thus removing it from its natural habitat BS?

I'll admit the apple example was extreme but still reflects the contradictions in your assault on my hunting strategy. I am a sportsman who loves the environment and yes turkey hunters like me have contributed to the growth and expansion of the wild turkey population in NC. To say that me attempting to draw turkeys who will be hunted anyway, onto my land is BS, is Bull. No offense, but felt I had to set things straight.

vortec

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by