turkey or chicken.?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by laura29532, Nov 7, 2016.

1. laura29532

laura29532 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    [​IMG]

I just collected my first set of eggs for the day. I found a huge brown egg in my turkey pen (they haven't been laying).
    In a nest box I found this brown egg, as big as the turkey eggs I been ordering to hatch, bigger than my Peking eggs even.
    anyone have an idea as to turkeys laying brown eggs.? I have only seen white/cream with specs on them. Is there brown turkey eggs.?
    I have four Heritage blue slate hens, two Midget whites and a bourbon red hen. I don't think they laid this egg,but my sexlink hens Red and Black each are laying large/x large eggs, in seperate pens. I have Peking ducks(lay white eggs) any clue what kind of egg this is.?
    I posted a pic to show. one on left is my Peking egg, one on the right is my sexlinks eggs size. one in the middle...huge..lol

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

I'd say one of your sex-links flew the coop and laid an egg in with the turkeys. If it's possible one got out, then it's a chicken egg. We have a BSL that almost always lays eggs 75 grams +. When she lays a 50 gram egg, we call it a "Batgirl wind-egg" [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Turkey eggs are white with varying degrees of speckling. Your brown egg is from a chicken.

1 person likes this.
  4. laura29532

Jul 18, 2016
    Thanks, that's what I thought, I never seen other than white turkey eggs..this egg is the same size as my blue slates and bourbon so I had to ask..she's a buff colour and gets in to the turkey pen often..still can't find how but she does..still that a pretty huge egg for a five month old hen on her first laying times..but I guess anything is possible..it weighed 82 grams..!! What an egg..lol

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It probably has a double yolk. Those sex links are laying machines.

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you put that huge egg in an incubator, I'd be afraid to see what hatches - maybe a Chickenzilla [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. ABchickenguy

ABchickenguy Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    Lacombe Alberta
    Try candling it and see if it's a double yolker.

8. laura29532

Jul 18, 2016
    I went ahead and cracked her open..it's a double yolk..:) was not sure if you could hatch them, New at this :) it was definitely from my buff coloured hen, she was back in the turkeys nest box tonight when putting them in for the night. Did not have the heart to move her..she's used to being handled and spoiled..;)

9. laura29532

Jul 18, 2016

10. laura29532

Jul 18, 2016
    It was a double. I cracked it open to make sure..figure no loss, just interested to see..I'm new at this and didn't know if it could be incubated or not..maybe the next one..lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by