1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey or Muscoveys for raising meat birds?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by kaumlauf, Jan 5, 2014.

1. kaumlauf

kaumlauf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Anyone want to weigh in on which are easier/more profitable to raise from hatchlings for home consumption? Turkeys or Muscovey ducks? It would just be for feeding our family- not a large farm.Thank you-

2. kaumlauf

kaumlauf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    any input is helpful-

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you live in an area with a large percentage of Indians, I'd say Muscovy ducks, they love them for their curries. I have customers that are willing to drive over an hour and pay $35 for a six month old drake.

-Kathy

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I agree with Kathy. Ducks are easier.

5. Fat Man

Fat Man Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    Since Muscovy ducks can be processed at 10 weeks you can probably get more meat with the ducks in smaller packages.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Most of my customers want them at least six months old, can't hardly give them away until then. [​IMG]

-Kathy

7. Fat Man

Fat Man Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    I don't raise them, that's just what a search said of the age. We do bunnies for meat. [​IMG]

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Muscovy are much hardier than turkeys. They have really lean meat and fly well. Turkey poults have to be more coddled than Muscovy ducklings. On the other hand turkey eggs are easier to hatch in the incubator than Muscovy eggs. I never had luck hatching those. But I had two momma 'scovys hatch 29 between of them.

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I cannot hach muscovy eggs in my incubator, though I know of others that do; my broody muscovy hens do the job and I get far better hatch rates.

What are you planning to feed them??? I live on a pc of property that allows the ducks to free rangs all day and we teach them to go in a coop at night. THese are not as domesticated as dealing with turkeys. THey don't like to be caught nor held so we leave the coop door open until they coop themselves up-- took many weeks of catching and puting into coops to teach them.

I like that they are quiet and don't need to answer like the turkeys.

They need water, if only a bowl most days. We use a kiddy sand box to fill with water for a bath.

I raised my ducklings in a plastic tote-- as water spilled I added more straw to keep them from sleeping in the wet-- then dump the tote once a week. THis was because I brooded in the house. You miight have other options.

Freeranging my birds gather what ever food they want around the farm, and have access to pellets. In that reguard they are better than turkeys. DUcks dabble under the leave litter looking for goodies. My turkeys wait to be fed, and occassionally eat grass.

Both taste good!!

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

You're right, the ducklings are much hardier than poults.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by