Turkey Pen

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by indigo flats, Feb 13, 2017.

1. indigo flats

indigo flats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    In anticipation of raising some turkeys I have a pen that is 10 feet by 17 feet with two 5 foot by 6 foot three side shed attached on the rear corners. Will this pen be ok for turkeys and if so how many. My main concern is to raise them in a safe spot and let them get acquainted with the pen as home. If that makes sense. The pen is two pens with the divider removed.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Turkeys require a place to be sheltered from the elements, it doesn't need to be anything too grand. Even in winter mine choose to roost outside on mild nights. Where are located and what is your climate? Heritage varieties will need a covered run or really high fencing.

Are you getting adults or poults? My shed is roughly 10x12 and about 12-16 turkeys can roost in it. They don't ever really go inside except to roost or when it's extremely cold and wind chills are around-20--40 Fahrenheit. Otherwise my birds are outside in their run all day, or out free ranging and goofing around in the goat pasture. I do have some 6 foot fence panels around part of the run to provide shade and as a wind break.

3. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    I will be getting eggs and hatch them. The pen is 6 foot high and completely fenced in including top. One three sided attachment is sided with boards with a metal top the other three sided is fenced with a metal top.Located midlands of South Carolina weather is not real bad in the winter sometimes hot in the summer 100°.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    So you probably want an open front on it. A picture would help, but I think I understand what you have going on and it sounds like it will work well. Turkeys are goofy curious birds, who can be a bit overbearing and in your face. They are more interactive than chickens. They certainly are a different bird.

What breeds are you getting? Are you using an incubator to hatch the eggs? I use my bantam hens to hatch my turkeys. I am not set up properly to let the turkey hens hatch without chaos, plus I can tame my poults when I raise them so they are friendlier.

It should be fun.

5. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    The pen is 17 feet wide 10 feet deep both sides and front open, left side attachment 5 by 6 back open right side attachment 5 by 6 all sides wood front open into large pen. I think I will be getting eggs to hatch possibly Narragansett. Bourbon Red and Royal Palms, waiting on the gentleman to tell me when and what. I think he is getting right with his birds so it may be a little while yet. I am just trying to get right on this end.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by