Turkey petting postion

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by KarateHorse, Dec 23, 2016.

1. KarateHorse

KarateHorse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    We have three broad breasted bronze turkeys. One started drooping her wings and lowering her tail when you walk by or start to pet her. When you go to touch her she "assumes the position" drooping her wings and lowering her tail then she let's you pet her. It's so funny! Tonight one of our other turkeys "assumed the position" then the other turkey assumed the postion. So they were all three standing around with their wings drooped and tails lowered waiting to be petted. Does anyone else have turkeys that do this? It's so funny!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm assuming that all are hens ? Your girls are growing up and ready for mating.

3. KarateHorse

Oct 13, 2016
    Yes they are all hens. We don't have a tom for them yet.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are doing the turkey equivalent of the 'squat' in maturing pullets just before they begin to lay. I don't know if this indicates the onset of laying in turkeys.

5. KarateHorse

Oct 13, 2016
    The first turkey that started doing it is named Rambo and shes very attached to my mom. She will run over and assume the position right at my mom's feet. If my mom walks away Rambo will run after her and do it again. If mom leaves Rambo will stand at the fence and constantly cry until she hears or sees mom

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  6. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    She's ready to breed

7. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Lol that's too cute that she's "in love" with your mom :D

I have a hen that's in "love" with me, too...she's annoying ha-ha ;)

They see you as their "Tom" since they don't have one. They're mature enough to want to mate, but have imprinted on humans and don't quite understand what they're doing. My hen does the same for me, but I also have a Tom that gets super jealous of it; she'll come sit by me and beg for "petting" while he stands 5 feet away gobbling and showing off :D

If you decide to eat the eggs, I'll give you a tip. Use them in baking, like duck eggs. The texture is different than chicken eggs and the white is a lot thicker. So is the shell, I just use a knife to break the shells ;)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  8. KarateHorse

Oct 13, 2016
    Thanks we might get them a tom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by