oakridgefarm

In the Brooder
May 14, 2021
Hello! I am new here, not new to chickens (and an aviary with many other types of birds). I have a very interesting question. I have tried to research and cannot find anything.

I have a solo turkey hen in the aviary and a ring-neck pheasant pair. The male pheasant has been "mating" with my female turkey. For the heck of it, we put a turkey egg in the incubator after noticing this. When I candled the egg, I see it is fertile!

Has anyone had a pheasant turkey cross? I cannot find anything online regarding this.

Thank you!

Hello! I am new here, not new to chickens (and an aviary with many other types of birds). I have a very interesting question. I have tried to research and cannot find anything.

I have a solo turkey hen in the aviary and a ring-neck pheasant pair. The male pheasant has been "mating" with my female turkey. For the heck of it, we put a turkey egg in the incubator after noticing this. When I candled the egg, I see it is fertile!

Has anyone had a pheasant turkey cross? I cannot find anything online regarding this.

Thank you!
Nope and it is extremely unlikely that it will hatch. Turkeys on the other hand (very rare) have been known to have parthenogenesis occur which is that an unfertilized egg develops. The offspring are always males.

I have a solo turkey hen
For how long is your hen solo? They can store sperm pretty long.

146842737_406902257279950_1333202748825443619_n.png
146837708_259509168875444_2274441404176150671_n.png

Well the egg hatched and I posted a separate thread. I am certain is is a cross!
Here is the information from my new thread. I also attached pictures of the hybrid chick!:

I can find no recent information or research online regarding turkey pheasant hybrids. There are some historical articles, however, nothing seems to indicate the ability as of recent inquiries.

Well, here we have a turkey pheasant hybrid incubated from a egg we took from our blue slate hen. We have no toms. She is kept in an aviary with a pheasant pair and quails (among other smaller flying birds). The egg hatched a week earlier than normal turkey eggs as well.

The last picture of this post shows a pheasant chick. They have the same coloring and markings. There is also no notable nub above the beak of the turkey pheasant hybrid chick.

Has anyone else heard of someone having one??? Is this as rare of a phenomenon as it seems?

Attachments

• 4831E2B2-0B02-4311-B547-BA22C6059A00.jpeg
    4831E2B2-0B02-4311-B547-BA22C6059A00.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 37594FEF-AAD5-43D2-9114-E5A34BA2FD34.jpeg
    37594FEF-AAD5-43D2-9114-E5A34BA2FD34.jpeg
    457.6 KB · Views: 41
For how long is your hen solo? They can store sperm pretty long.

View attachment 2670454View attachment 2670455
She had no toms for over 2 months by this point. I’ve seen the male pheasant mounting her as well.
The egg hatched and I’m certain it is a hybrid as it matches my pheasant chicks markings. I just incubated another egg today and am interested to see what happens again.

Well the egg hatched and I posted a separate thread. I am certain is is a cross!
Here is the information from my new thread. I also attached pictures of the hybrid chick!:

I can find no recent information or research online regarding turkey pheasant hybrids. There are some historical articles, however, nothing seems to indicate the ability as of recent inquiries.

Well, here we have a turkey pheasant hybrid incubated from a egg we took from our blue slate hen. We have no toms. She is kept in an aviary with a pheasant pair and quails (among other smaller flying birds). The egg hatched a week earlier than normal turkey eggs as well.

The last picture of this post shows a pheasant chick. They have the same coloring and markings. There is also no notable nub above the beak of the turkey pheasant hybrid chick.

Has anyone else heard of someone having one??? Is this as rare of a phenomenon as it seems?
Does the poult have a snood?

Back
Top Bottom