Turkey poult being a real "pecker"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lolos, Jul 3, 2016.

1. lolos

lolos Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    Hi everyone,

So we got two Blue Slate turkey poults and two Narangensetts (we plan to process them, just wanted to start small). These guys are just three days old, and I saw one of the narangensetts peck one of the blue slates in the EYEBALL. He got both eyelids and the poor guy can't hardly open his eyes now. I separated the hurt one because the other poults started picking on him more once he was hurt. Well then I saw the same serial "pecker" narangansett pecking at the other two right between the eyes, grabbing legs and pulling hard while the they scream bloody murder. So now I have everyone in separate boxes in their brooder and everyone is upset because they don't like being alone.

I'm treating the little guy who's eyelids got pecked with topical antibiotics, and he is doing much better.

I tried putting the Pecker with just the other narangensett and he picked on him too. I just don't know what to do with this jerk, how can I correct this behavior that he is doing to everyone? I don't want the others to learn that behavior either, and I can't keep them separate forever. Someone please help! I'm beside myself with these babies.

Sorry for the double post.. Can't figure out how to delete the other one!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Young turkeys peck at shiny things. I always scatters some glass rocks around the brooder, they are also in the waterer and the feeder to attract them and give them something shiny to peck at. My glass rocks are blue. I haven't had eye pecking in a while. The one and only time I had Narragansett they were aggressive when young and would display early and peck my hands, they were the first to be butchered and I haven't kept that variety since.

I would keep the bully separate for a day or so and see if it improves. It's normal for them to peck at stuff, even chicks occasionally get crazy and peck eyes and toes.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  3. lolos

lolos Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016

Thanks oldhenlikesdogs - I actually have some blue rocks that I will try putting around their brooder. I also read putting a bit of salt in their water can help for some reason, so we will see on that too.

Good to know on Narangensetts for next time.. Still got a while to deal with the troublemakers before they are processing size unfortunately.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I read about salt too, but I believe that's for older birds who they say sometimes they peck each other for the salt in the blood. With the young ones they are just doing what they are suppose to, which is peck things, something poults sometimes have trouble doing when young, so it a sign of a good strong poults who hasn't learned what to peck yet.

I give mine some scrambled eggs daily to give them a protein boost and fill them up, or even offering a bit of moistened ration so they can eat it better, remove it after a bit so it doesn't mold. Hopefully your poult calms down a bit, make sure they have lots of room and the brooder is warm enough but not too hot, with good air movement. If it's warm enough get them outside during the day in a small enclosure is a good distraction for them.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I use a 'brooder jail' made out of 1/2" hardware cloth for timeouts with new chicks that are overly aggressive.
    Fits right over the chick right in the brooder. put them under it when misbehaving for 30 minute increments.

[​IMG]

6. lolos

lolos Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    Thank you for the suggestions. I put a couple of mirrors in there for them, which seems to be a good distraction. I put a few blue shiny rocks in there for them too. I'll try some eggs but they are on a high protein turkey starter. Seem to be doing better now, though I do think the Narangensetts are naturally more aggressive than my Blue Slates.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I personally will never keep Narragansett again, they seem to be more of a bully type, as well as the bronze variety too. I have found the other varieties like the blacks,blues, bourbon, and palms to be a bit more easy going. Glad things have improved, I know how frustrating that behavior can be.

8. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    I like the time out cage! Great idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by