Turkey poult being aggressive with baby chicks

Rammy

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Tennessee
I won a Cackle Surprise box on a raffle site, and it came with a BBB turkey poult. When I was transferring the chicks to the brooder, I noticed some had little red marks on their heads from being pecked. I didn't know who did it but figured with them in a box for three days bunched together, its bound to happen.
I later went to check on them and heard a commotion coming from one of the brooders that had the turkey poult in it and saw him/her with one of the chicks by the head just flinging it around. I was shocked! I didn't know and or thought they would do that. They are in with similar size chicks and plenty of room to run around.
My question is, and since this is a single poult, should I put it in a separate brooder by itself? If it continues to hurt the chicks, it probably wont make it to freezer size, if you know what I mean.

I won a Cackle Surprise box on a raffle site, and it came with a BBB turkey poult. When I was transferring the chicks to the brooder, I noticed some had little red marks on their heads from being pecked. I didn't know who did it but figured with them in a box for three days bunched together, its bound to happen.
I later went to check on them and heard a commotion coming from one of the brooders that had the turkey poult in it and saw him/her with one of the chicks by the head just flinging it around. I was shocked! I didn't know and or thought they would do that. They are in with similar size chicks and plenty of room to run around.
My question is, and since this is a single poult, should I put it in a separate brooder by itself? If it continues to hurt the chicks, it probably wont make it to freezer size, if you know what I mean.
I assume that you are feeding the turkey poult chick starter. This could be the cause of its aggression.

Turkey poults should be fed a quality turkey or gamebird starter that is 28% to 30% protein. With BB turkeys in particular, chick starter can be harmful to their health because it does not contain the proper amounts of lysine, methionine and niacin that they need for proper development and prevention of leg issues.

Food effect on aggressive turkeys

While chick starter can be harmful to turkey poults, a good turkey or gamebird starter is not harmful to chicks. When I brood chicks and poults together, they all get a 28% protein turkey or gamebird starter.

This is my first year with (heritage) poults... and you're right, they are kinda brutal... strong and more curious than chickens so far.... even though I AM using 30% protein starter.

I can tell it isn't exactly the same as aggression that's going on inside my brooder... They turned a week old Tuesday. :love

Oh boy, a drip of water on the beak and the others practically take its' face off. And the wing tugging... :barnie I would not want chicks in with my poults.

I also have zero issues feeding chicks the higher protein starter and have done it even when I had NO turkeys. :)

:fl

I have almost never had aggressive poults (usually i tend to each and every chick, duckling, gosling, poults, and keets i have)and when i spot aggression i just use something else to get their attention (one for example is i sometimes use a laser light pen for them to chase a bit just until they have used up their excess energy), and they mellow out very quickly. I have also used mirrors too, they get tired of seeing someone else pecking at them when they peck, and my 3rd option is i just separate them...

I have almost never had aggressive poults (usually i tend to each and every chick, duckling, gosling, poults, and keets i have)and when i spot aggression i just use something else to get their attention (one for example is i sometimes use a laser light pen for them to chase a bit just until they have used up their excess energy), and they mellow out very quickly. I have also used mirrors too, they get tired of seeing someone else pecking at them when they peck, and my 3rd option is i just separate them...
I haven't noticed any aggression among my poults at all. I leave them alone and do my best to not imprint them. I feed them a quality 28% turkey or gamebird starter. I never select aggressive turkeys to be my breeders.

This was taking them out of the Cackle box into the brooder. They had no food until then and it was like within 15 minutes of being out.
I do thank you for letting me know about the turkey food. I'll get some tonight. If the poult keeps being aggressive I will just put it in its own brooder.

20190515_170513.jpg

I assume that you are feeding the turkey poult chick starter. This could be the cause of its aggression.

Turkey poults should be fed a quality turkey or gamebird starter that is 28% to 30% protein. With BB turkeys in particular, chick starter can be harmful to their health because it does not contain the proper amounts of lysine, methionine and niacin that they need for proper development and prevention of leg issues.

Food effect on aggressive turkeys

While chick starter can be harmful to turkey poults, a good turkey or gamebird starter is not harmful to chicks. When I brood chicks and poults together, they all get a 28% protein turkey or gamebird starter.
P.S. Thank you for the link..

I haven't noticed any aggression among my poults at all. I leave them alone and do my best to not imprint them. I feed them a quality 28% turkey or gamebird starter. I never select aggressive turkeys to be my breeders.
I have MUCH to learn still about turkeys. I can tell they are clearly different animals.

Only 5 survived shipping, and I hope for SOME hens. Is there another term for poults once they reach juvenile stage similar to cockerel and pullet.. or does it stay poult until it becomes tom or hen?

Can you achieve friendliness without imprinting? I didn't even realize turkeys would imprint. I do plan to select for breeding, and demeanor is often at the very top of my priority list. Are there any handling differences you suggest from chicks or major things I should be aware of... noting nutrition has already been acknowledged? Thanks for sharing your time and knowledge! :highfive:

Is there another term for poults once they reach juvenile stage similar to cockerel and pullet.. or does it stay poult until it becomes tom or hen?
Some people refer to yearling hens as jennies while some people just refer to turkey hens as jennies. Yearling toms are often referred to as jakes. I just call the poults until they are old enough to be visibly sexed at which time I refer to them as hens and toms. Other countries use different terminology.
Can you achieve friendliness without imprinting? I didn't even realize turkeys would imprint.
You can turn adult turkeys into your best friends by spending lots of time with them. Let them come to you rather than you approaching them. It has been a long time ago but I had adult hens that would come up to me and take grasshoppers right from my hand. These were turkeys that were not imprinted as poults.

Turkeys are one of the most easily imprinted young birds. It does not take much interaction with them to cause the imprinting. Some people have trouble getting their adult turkeys to breed because they imprinted them and their hens will not submit to their toms but instead submit to their owners.

@memphis can tell you how she became fast friends with her turkeys that she got as adults.

I do recommend that hens be the choice for pets as toms are just like any other male and can become dangerous during breeding season when hormones are running rampant.

Ive been looking for the 30% chick starter for turkeys but apparently neither Rural King or TSC carries anything more than 24%.

Back
Top Bottom