Turkey poult dropped dead, fast,I saw it.What happened???????????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lil'turkeymama, Jul 2, 2010.

1. lil'turkeymama

lil'turkeymama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Alabama
    I have 17,well 16 poults ages 5 and 6 weeks.They are outside in a coop that we move around as needed.I also have 10 EE chicks I hatched with them in there.This morning when I went to feed,I always stop and look at all my pens before entering them in case the ole black snake is too close to my path.I also like to see if my birds come running or don't pay attention or just what they are doing each morning.when i got to the poult pen this morning,first thing I see is a poult laying on the ground on its back with both feet stuck up and a chick standing on one of its wings.i watched for maybe a minute to see what was happening and just went on in the pen and shooed the chick off it,then kinda just poked at the poult alittle to see if it would get up.It didn't.I picked it up and back went its head and out went the legs and poof,its dead.There is no sign of injury.They had food and water.I always feed and water twice a day to make sure they do not go without at any time.I haven't noticed any signs of any weak/droopy birds.i've seen various animals expire and alot do the head back/stiffen up thing right at the end.The poult looked fine when I first saw it,it looked like it had laid down and the chick just stepped over on its wing.Its eyes were very clear,its bottom clean.It didn't look like it had been trampled,just the one chick.This poult was bigger than the chick,too.I know sometimes birds just kill over but I think most of the time there is a reason.I'm hoping someone with more experience could tell me something and if I should be looking for something that would cause this to happen.Thanks in advance,Lisa

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's some possibilities according to the Merck Vet Manual:

"Sudden death in turkeys can be caused by choke, aortic rupture ( Dissecting Aneurysm: Introduction), focal (obstructive) granulomatous pneumonia, or by hypertrophic cardiomyopathy ( Round Heart Disease of Turkeys: Introduction) with lung congestion and edema, splenomegaly, and perirenal hemorrhage ( Perirenal Hemorrhage Syndrome of Turkeys: Introduction)."

There are links available on the page for most of those conditions if you care to do some reading: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/202500.htm

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  3. lil'turkeymama

May 14, 2010
    Alabama
    Thanks so much!I do love to read.From what you mentioned,it did seem like something just "popped",for lack of a better word,and it expired very quickly.Didn't show any breathing problems,like it got too hot or choked.I've got the Merck manual page saved in my favorite pages.I'm going to check it right now.And thanks for the direct link,that'll save some time.[​IMG]

4. lil'turkeymama

May 14, 2010
    Alabama
    Hey,thanks again.I just went and read all of those articles.Wish I had had my poultry shears with me at the time.I could have checked out the entrails fairly quickly.I have dressed many birds so I know where the parts are.The bad news is I've been feeding these birds all they could eat starter/grower since hatching.That seems to be the cause of what is called "flip-over" syndome.I couldn't beleive mine were just 5 and 6 weeks old when I checked the hatching dates.They are really big,but all hatched out big.I am going to cut down on their feed and see that they get a measured amount.Hopefully I can cut down my losses.At least now I know what probably happened.Again,Thanks so much.The reason I love this site so much it there is always someone to help.[​IMG]

5. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm glad you found the info helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by