Turkey poult not doing well

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KarateHorse, Mar 4, 2017.

1. KarateHorse

KarateHorse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    My young turkey poult has been acting off and is not as energetic as she usually is. We have a bully chick that was picking on her and gave her a good peck above the eye on her eyelid. She also has a couple places on her beak where the bully chick was picking on her. I took her and my other turkey poult inside and expected her wounds to heal but now they are healing and she has been acted lethargic not walking much. The other turkey is just fine and so are the other chicks. From my research I'm think she has cocci but she has no bloody poop and she still has an appetite. What is wrong with her? Please help.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you also posted on the turkey forum as well? start a new thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/20

Lethargy, huddling, and watery diarrhea with mucus or blood streaks can be symptoms. Blood apparently is rare in turkey coccidiosis. Corid (amprollium) powder or liquid can be found at many feed stores for treatment in the water. Dosage is 2 tsp of liquid Corid, or 1 1/2 tsp of powder to a gallon of water for 5-7 days. Sulfa drugs and others have been used for treatment, but now require a prescription.
    She also could be weak from some other problem or injury, so I would give her bits of egg, and a tsp of plain yogurt for probiotics. Chickens suffer from crop impactions, worms, and other intestinal diseases, but I don't know much about turkeys. Bright yellow poops can be a sign of blackhead.
    Here is a good article on turkey cocci and other diseases: http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/turkeys/index.aspx

3. KarateHorse

Oct 13, 2016
    Thanks for replying
    Is there another treatment rather then corrid? Can they get over it on their own?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It can be pretty serious, and may cause low weight gain or decreased laying. You can get it confirmed wirh a fecal test by your vet. Corid is not an antibiotic and very safe for the others. The price can vary a lot from $16-23 in stores. Sulmet, a sulfa antibiotic can also be used, but is mot sold in stores anymore. Dimethox or sulfadimethoxine are similar to Sulmet. Chicken friends might have one of those.

5. KarateHorse

Oct 13, 2016
    Today is the second day of her corrid treatment and I can already tell a difference. She is getting a lot better already

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm very glad the Corid is helping her. Thanks for the update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by