1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Turkey poult or Guinea keet? How can you tell?!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by mlheran, Jul 6, 2008.

1. mlheran

mlheran Songster

So I went to pick up some turkey poults from the feedstore -last week they had more than a dozen poults and keets running in a huge brooder tub. Today, you guessed it, there was one bird left. One person I asked said it was a poult, another said it was a keet. I'm totally new to both (wanted to get some turkeys for the holidays), so I have no clue -all the young pics of them look the same to me. So I fall on your expertise, how the heck do you tell them apart?! (and any advice for raising?)
    [​IMG]

Here it is...
    [​IMG]
    Different angle...
    [​IMG]
    (and it's not all alone in there, I picked up a couple new Americauna chicks to keep it company.)

2. poopcoop

poopcoop Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Swansea, SC
    Looks like a keet to me. I have 3 turkeys and there is no resemblence to me. I will see if I can find a pic. of my turkeys.

Ray

3. poopcoop

poopcoop Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Swansea, SC
    [​IMG]

I don't know if this will help.

4. mlheran

mlheran Songster

Quote:Thanks! Are those the same kind of turkey, or different breeds?

5. eggcochin_freak5

eggcochin_freak5 Songster

May 27, 2008
    Georgia
    that is a keet....

6. poopcoop

poopcoop Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Swansea, SC
    Quote:Thanks! Are those the same kind of turkey, or different breeds?

2 of them are Broad Breasted Bronze and the other is a Burbon Red.

7. chickenannie

chickenannie Songster

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I agree, that is a keet. The stripes on the head give it away. by the way, keets (and guineas) mate for life, so your keet would enjoy a pal, i'm sure. Also, this is the 'cute' stage. Guineas get weirder and weirder looker as they get older. I love mine, but their heads get very strange. The good thing is they've been eating my japanese beetles!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  8. mlheran

mlheran Songster

Quote:How can you tell? Sorry for my n00biness... [​IMG]

9. eggcochin_freak5

eggcochin_freak5 Songster

May 27, 2008
    Georgia
    i really dont know how to tell you how to tell...lol.....but i look at the way their heads are shaped and a keets body looks more?????????? rounded???? i guess you would say. and its stripes

10. chickenannie

chickenannie Songster

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    It's beak is different, too, a bit bigger and more orangey color. Also a keet's body is shaped more like a football. And the turkey has more clearly defined wings, while a keets feathers are more even, so you can't tell exactly where the wing is, and the wings are held more to the bottom of the sides.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: