turkey poult problem

okwari

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 30, 2008
Spring Hope, NC
I have 6 poults, about 10 weeks old, and one of them seems a little weak and has a ragged tail. I came home a couple of days ago and there was a hole in the cover of the pen, about a foot wide, and everyone was huddled in a corner, with this one under the tom. The tom seemed to be protecting him and the others, while the hen was on watch. The "injured one" doesnt have any visible injuries, and is eating and walking around, but occasionally will sit still and close it's eyes. Do I have to worry about infection? I just don't know what to do!

Could possible be coccidia... common in young fowl on the ground. It causes weak looking, fluffed up, in corner, sleepy looking, and weight loss... later stages blood in poo. Corid liquid is what I use, you mix it in drinking water.

Thanks for the reply, I am so new to this. I have no idea where to get any poultry meds. There is no one in my area that deals with poultry. I have some tetracyline hydrochloride powder, but I don't know how to use it. it is in a powder form, 10 gr. Their water container is 1 gal. that is used by 2 adult turkeys and 6 poults. Any advice is helpful.

If you have a Tractor Supply near you they have Corid. It is for cattle and on the cattle isle. Many meds for cattle are used for poultry off label, such as Tylan 50, used for respiratory illness. Sulmet can also be used for coccidia, and sometimes easier to find at feed stores.

If you have a choice of either one, Corid is preferred over Sulmet. Corid is concentrated Amprolium and is easier on their systems than Sulmet, which is a sulfa drug and sometimes, keeps the intestines bleeding longer than if you used Corid. That said, if you can't find Corid, Sulmet is the next best thing. Whatever you use, get it into them quick. If one has it, they probably all do or will, if not treated. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom