turkey poult questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by freshegg, Jun 16, 2008.

1. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    Well I started with 8 full grown RIR's now 2 months later I had to have more of something [​IMG]. I am getting 6 1 week old turkeys today at 8 am I am going to put them in a 55 gallon fish tank for a week or 2. what do I put down on the bottom I have pine shavings and hay and of course newspaper but dont know whats best to put down. also I am going to the feed store right after they arrive I know I need turkey starter but how much do I need and for how long? I also need a chick waterer and feeder but dont know what is best. is there anything else I need? I plan on putting them out in a chainlinked fence area when they are bigger what should I put on top so hawks dont get them and also I dont want them to fly away.

2. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    For about the first week use paper towels, or old blankets for the bottom of the brooder. We changed them every day, we switched to litter after the first week.

Make sure you dip there beaks in the water, and for the first day or two just sprinkel the food on the paper towel. With the food dispencer in the brooder.

For about the first week or so they do not see very well.

We used the same style chick and feeder for the turkeys as the baby chicks.

You might also want to put some small stones in the waterer.

We use a 22% game bird medicated starter/grower so they will get that for a long time. The first 15 turkey chicks used about a 50 lb bag for the first two weeks. They are really sloppy eaters.

Keep them on the starter only until about 4 to 5 weeks. If it's a combination then just keep using that. Before introducing any sort of grass, the starter usually has everything they need, including grit. When we started adding grass we added some grit.

3. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    well they are here and alot bigger than I expected they are atleast a week old and I put newspaper down then shavings. the feed store says they are big enough to have the mason jar waterer. The guy I got them from says they will be fine in the house without a heat lamp. I hope this is all right info. they look happy and are already eating and drinking and pooping :eek:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by