Turkey poult respiratory issues

EarthMamaBear

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2022
Hello! Thank you for reading this and assisting. I have a 5 month old Tom turkey who is having some respiratory issues. He’s been healthy and the last few days has been acting very off. He’s currently inside in my bird ICU.

He’s not eating, standing around with droopy wings and eyes mostly closed, sneezing, and has mucous discharge from the mouth. The mucous is as of today and just seemed to be after I orally gave him some Nutri-Drench. I can hear a rattle when he breathes so I know something is going on respiratory wise. He’s about 15 pounds. He’s my only turkey, and all the chickens in my flock are doing well. I did have a run of MS but it’s under control now and all birds have been doing well until this sweet fella now.

His poop is runny, white, and slightly foamy. The latest one had a little bit of green color to it, as he hasn’t been eating. His head is a little pale but also changing from paler to normal red. Based on my research thus far, I don’t think it’s blackhead disease.

Last night I started him on Tylan200 at the dose of 35mg/kg. Gave him close to 1.5mL injection in his breast last night and again this morning, so he’s had two doses thus far. I also gave him a little VetRX down throat and around nasal passages to help him breathe. He also has electrolytes, immune support vía oregano and thyme, and ACV in water. He is drinking.

My intent is to help him recover here at home; as I do not have a vet around here that treats birds. I plan to do the Tylan200 3x a day (so two more doses today), as well as try to get him to eat, rest, and recover.

If anyone has any other recommendations or suggestions, please share. I love this little guy (hatched him out in June) and I’ll be heartbroken if he doesn’t pull through. Thank you. ❤️

He’s about 15 pounds.
Last night I started him on Tylan200 at the dose of 35mg/kg. Gave him close to 1.5mL injection

Did you know you can give the Tylan200 orally instead of by injection, so you don't have to needle stick him 3 times a day for 5 days?

15lb at 35mg/kg for Tylan200.
15 ÷ 2.2 x 35 ÷ 200 = 1.19318 or 1.20ml is your dose. Tylan does have a wide range of 10-40mg/kg, but even at 40 you're a bit over if you're giving 1.50ml.

I'd work on hydration and keep him eating.
Any swelling of the sinus or bubbles in the eyes?

Photos of him and his poop may be helpful.

I'll tag in @casportpony to see is she has any other suggestions.

He passed away.💔 He didn’t like the Tylan200 down the throat and it was hard to do, which is why I did the needle. And the dose I gave was like 1.3, not 1.5. I don’t know why I typed the wrong number. He was also closer to 20 lbs or maybe even more. Hard to get an exact weight as we don’t own a scale. Either way, his spirit soars on and my heart is grieving him. He was an awesome bird and friend. Thank you for responding.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom