Turkey Poult Sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WillJMA, Jul 21, 2015.

1. WillJMA

WillJMA In the Brooder

Jul 3, 2015
    Hey Guys,

I have a couple of turkey poults which are currently approx 7-8 weeks old, which i plan on having for Christmas this year, providing i can bring myself round to it! If not i'll have a few new pets come January!

Anyway the two birds were bought from the same hatch and were exactly the same size when i got them, but after 4 weeks with my chicken flock, one is almost double, if not three times the size of the other. They both eat the same, as they have access to feed all day, and a large area to dig and plenty of kitchen scraps. They both look exactly the same with a tiny bobble on the tops of their heads which are the same its just the size difference.

Any ideas/help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. popsicle

popsicle Songster

You probably have a pair. What breed are they?

3. WillJMA

WillJMA In the Brooder

Jul 3, 2015
    By a 'pair' you mean a breeding pair? If so, that would be good, but since they're intended as meat birds in 6 months time that wouldn't make much difference would it? (Meaning would they be more profitable as a breeding pair? Or otherwise?)

They're both Bronze turkeys.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  4. popsicle

popsicle Songster

Pair means a male and a female. If they are broad-breasted, they will not be a "breeding" pair.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: